Splines - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Splines

I am just about ready to buy new half shafts from raxles and a im thinking of a Torsen diff. Im not super knowlegable about diffs, but i was looking at the Torsen T2-R. Im building for a street car and eventually do some runs at the track. My tbird is 28 splined and i noticed you can get 31 splined which I think are in the mustangs. What would be the benefeit of upgrading to 31 splines from 28? Is the rotational torque on the shaft transmitted better with 31 splines? As in, divided by more splines and thus less stress on the shaft in the long run or able to handle more torque? I realize that this all depends on the depth/surface area of the spline for a given diameter but I was wondering if someone could explain it better for me, im just guessing =)

Also, anyone have any opinions between the Torsen T2 and T2-R?

I know the diff is the medium for power transmission to the halfshafts and where the big issue is in cornering. I do not plan to road race but I want to get the best possible. (Mod addiction runaway heh)

I will also have to go to 31 spline hubs im guessing then also?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Here's something I found on Moser Engineering's site. Its a list of Torque ratings per axle based on splines. Im assuming these are for solid axle setups as a lot of their stuff is for Ford 9". They do make stuff for the 8.8". This link also has a neat little torque calc.

http://www.moserengineering.com/mose...r/axletech.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in