Weird thing happened to me today - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MadRussian Send a message via MSN to MadRussian Send a message via Yahoo to MadRussian
Weird thing happened to me today

I drove to the post office today, it was like an 8 minute drive, everythign was fine. When I was leaving, my check engine light went on, and the OD light started flashing. Car was "stuck" in 2nd gear, I could move the lever just fine, neutral worked. When I got close to my house, light went off and car shifted to 3rd, and OD.

Check engine light stayed on though.

This tranmission is only 2-3 weeks old on my car, its a lincoln mark VIII, I just did an intake swap, and may have a vacum issue - so that *may* explain the CEL, but then again they went on at the same time so go figure...

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MadRussian Send a message via MSN to MadRussian Send a message via Yahoo to MadRussian
Happened again, and then went away on its own... weird.

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 08:33 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I'd get the codes checked.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

Second gear is accomplished by turning both shift solenoids off, so if the wiring was disconnected or loose, and the solenoids could not be switched on, then you would be stuck in second gear.

The OD OFF light will flash if there is an electrical problem detected in the transmission control circuitry, and can also trip the CE light. I'd check al the wiring, and see what's up. Get the codes checked.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Ok, I got the codes scanned. Looks like I have two seperate issues.

I had 8 codes, but only 4 unique ones.

p0174 - lean on bank 1
p0171 - lean on bank 2
p0755 - shift solenoid 2 circuit
p0750 - shift solenoid 1 circuit

The AutoZone guy cleared the codes, and the CEL did not come on on my 20 minute drive home. My opinion is that in WOT, the car will go lean because of the airflow. Doesnt the computer have a preset amount of fuel at WOT? Am I on the right track??

The shift solenoids are the weird thing, I'm gonna drop the pan !!AGAIN!! and check the wiring, because I'm pretty sure they both cant go bad at the same time. Sounds like a loose connection or something like that.

Thanks,
Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

CEL came on at idle, I know I have a vacum leak at the EGR, so thats not really a "problem" right now.... ( I stripped the 2 bolt threads, and the egr is not connected all the way - will retap soon)

This transmission seems to act up when the car is cold, then when it warms up, starts shifting fine (almost fine, seems like the torque converter lockup is sloppy) That does not seem like a bad connection.... Oh well I'll drop the pan tomorrow and recheck the wiring.

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Ok, fixed the vac leak at the EGR connector. Idle is now fine, and so far no CEL.

OD light still flashed....

Now the transmission isssue keep coming back. When the car has been sitting for awhile, if will stay in 2nd, and the OD light keeps flashing. When I drove it to work (15min drive) just as I pulled in, it started working again. This happened every day - I drive it for ~15 mins, then it starts working just fine, the OD light stops flashing.

If the engine is hot, it will work almost right away. Reverse, neutral, park all work perfect.

I dont know where to start, this to me does not seem like an intermittent connection. The solenoids cant both go bad, then start working again that doesnt make sense either. Isnt the woring pretty straight-forward = solenoids are just connected to the EEC(PCM)?

Weird huh?

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 02:33 PM

Both shift solenoids are part of one assembly on the valve body. It is very possible that they have either gone bad or have a bad connection. Drop the tranny pan and take a look.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

One more thing to rule out... the EEC

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in