Poly Rear Diff Mount UPDATE - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Poly Rear Diff Mount UPDATE

I spent 5 min. & installed the Poly Rear Diff Mount that I got from Wynn. Then spend 2 days trying to figure out how to remove the front lower control arm nuts. More on that later! Like any good gearhead, once new parts are installed, you have to "test" them. Temp was between 40 & 45. After getting her started, I let her warm up for a while. Then I pulled out on the road & punched it. I could tell the the Poly Rear Mount was doing it's job. It still hops, though only about half as much as it used to. Several of the burn outs were at 6K & I just held it there until the BFG's got busy & started doing their job. With a controlled throttle, I could keep it from hopping, even though the hides were boiling, though not at 6K. So bottom line is, the Poly Rear Diff Mount works, but it's not the "Be All, End All" cure for HWH. Just for the record, I also have poly front diff. bushings.

Now the IRS Pinion Brace. It's matt red powder coated & looks really good. Like I said earlier, I spend 2 days trying to figure out how to get the front lower control arm nuts off. That's one big MoFo nut. I dunno what size yours is, but mine ended up being larger than the stated 36mm. The mn12performance instructions just say to use an adjustable wrench & the picture shows a crescent wrench. I spent $40 bucks on a 36mm & 1 7/16" socket . Couldn't get the sockets between the end of the nut & the gas tank. Took those back to Auto Zone. Went to Harbor Freight to buy a 36mm box end wrench. No Go, they can't even get them. Did buy a 15" crescent wrench though. Couldn't budge the nut with the crescent & BFH! Then went to Sears & bought a 1 7/16" x 1.5", 24 inch long box end wrench for $32. Now 36mm = 1.4173228", so I figure that a 1 7/16" (1.4375") box end wrench should work right? WRONG, the nut is bigger! So I try the 1.5" box end. WRONG, the nut is still larger!!!!!! Back to Sears to return the $32, 24" long chrome plated double dildo! Soooo.....either the 36mm spec is wrong, or XR-7's got a larger nut. (hehehe, I like the sound of that!!!!) The mn12performance instructions say to TQ the nut to 160 ft/lb. when installing the pinion brace. My shop manual says 184 - 229 ft/lbs!!!!! I dunno how that is even possible, cuz the bolt isn't that freakin' big!!!!! It might be a 1/2" or 9/16" bolt. So, if any of you guys know what size that freakin' nut is, Please let me know. I think that with the car on a hoist & the proper size box end wrench & a 6ft. helper extension, that the nuts will come off. So, for the time being I have this really cool looking pinion brace sitting on my desk, holding down papers.

Rich Thompson @ mn12performance has since told me that the front lower control arm nuts are something like 40mm. That's between 1 9/16" & 1 5/8"!!!!

68COUGAR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 03:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

I will check tonight and get the size b/c I just took one off and extra subframe that I am using for an IRS build up.
I will post a reply either tonight or tomorrow.

'97 Limited Edition Thunder Bird
JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Koni infinite adjustables
Xenon Ground Effects
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 PM
4th Gear Poster

The big nut with the black cap on it from my '97 Tbird is a 1 5/8" nut. If you do the math it comes out to be a little under 41mm. I am pretty sure that this nut is a standard size and not metric though. I placed a 1 5/8" half inch drive 12 point socket on it and it fit perfectly.
You can probably pick one up at NAPA but I am not sure if they make a socket that size in anything under 1/2" drive.

Good luck.

'97 Limited Edition Thunder Bird
JBA headers
ART X pipe
MAC underdive pulleys
17X9 Cobra R's
Eibach springs
Koni infinite adjustables
Xenon Ground Effects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 97Limited Edition TB
I placed a 1 5/8" half inch drive 12 point socket on it
Thank You for checking the nut size for me. I muchly appreicate it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume that you mean that a 1 5/8" socket fit the nut ON THE WORKBENCH. Not enough room to get a socket & breaker bar on the nut, when it's on the car. The gas tank is in the way. That's probably why Rich @ mn12performance says to use a Lg. adjustable (Crescent) wrench.

So now all I have to do is locate a 1 5/8" box end wrench! OR even better a 1 5/8" Flank Drive box end wrench!!!!!! Things that make you go, Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

68COUGAR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:11 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Here's what I used for this same job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=925
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

If that link doesn't work then you can go to harborfreight and do a search on part # 925-5VGA.

Btw, that nut came loose with a bang. I thought I had broken something. Have fun.
Perch
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by perch
part # 925-5VGA
E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T!!!!!!!!!!! Threre is a Harbor Freight store 20 miles from my home. I'll be making a stop there ASAP.

68COUGAR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in