chip change when changing pumpkin? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

chip change when changing pumpkin?

well from what ive read regarding this it seems that i'll need a chip so the computer shifts the tranny properly after i swap in the 3.73's. i have a jet chip in my car right now, does anyone know if they are programed for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
JET= wasted money.

You have a 3.08 rear gear. The EEC will able to compensate for a two step in gears.

This has been discussed quite a bit, a search could yield the answers you need.

anyway...

3.08-3.55 no chip
3.08-3.27 no chip
3.08-3.73 need a chip
3.08-4.10 need a chip
3.27-3.55 no chip
3.27-3.73 no chip
3.27-4.10 need a chip

The EEC SHOULD be able to compensate for the shorter gears. You will also need a speedo gear to get the correct MPH on the speedo. It is highly reccomended that you get an SCT/APTEN/Reinhart chip. Sell that JET chip on ebay to some dumb shcmuck and reduce the cost of getting a new chip from one of the above mentioned suppliers

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

yeah i've did the search before i put this thread up and yes i've heard all about the jet chip. all i need to know is if it will compensate for the change in gears as im going from 3.08's to 3.73's. i would like to get another chip but am alittle tapped out after just buying the pumpkin, but it is definitly on the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

well i just got a reply from jet chip today, and it seems that it really is a worthless piece of [email protected]&!. so for those of us that have it we're out of luck.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

ok here's a new question, if i install the gears without a chip how will that affect driveability? i know that i wont be able to hammer on it cause of the rev limiter, but will it be alright otherwise? if not i guess i'll have to hold off on putting them in until i get another chip.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
Quote:
Originally posted by FordFanatic
ok here's a new question, if i install the gears without a chip how will that affect driveability? i know that i wont be able to hammer on it cause of the rev limiter, but will it be alright otherwise? if not i guess i'll have to hold off on putting them in until i get another chip.
Your going to be smacking off the rev limiter, because you will be revving faster than the EEC is used to, so the cylinders won't be full in time, and it won't be able to shift when it is supposed to.

Also, you might have some vibration issues if you are keeping your stock shaft, that shaft is going to be rotating alot faster, you have a chip so your speed limiter is removed most likely, but I WOULD NOT go above 90 on the stock shaft, it's just not safe.

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

thanks for the info, i guess i'll just have to pony up the money for the new chip sooner than i wanted to. i dont think the driveshaft speed will be a problem as i do mostly in town driving anyway and am just looking for some more bottom end out of this boat, but that will be something to keep in mind for future mods. thanks again
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by FordFanatic
thanks for the info, i guess i'll just have to pony up the money for the new chip sooner than i wanted to. i dont think the driveshaft speed will be a problem as i do mostly in town driving anyway and am just looking for some more bottom end out of this boat, but that will be something to keep in mind for future mods. thanks again
where in NC are you located? There is a shop in Concord that specializes in Race cars and Fords. They might be able to do your gears/Center Section. Its called Mark Ray Motorsports.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

im in fayetteville. the gears should be a piece of cake, i bought the whole pumpkin off of justinH. i was just hoping i could skate buy right now without having to get a chip after buying that. oh well, it will be worth it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 AM

i thought all 94-97 EEC's were programmed for factory 3.08 gears. Then when ford put factory 3.27's the EEC just compensated. That would mean even if you had factory 3.27's that you could only go to 3.55's with out a chip.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
Quote:
Originally posted by Green95LX
i thought all 94-97 EEC's were programmed for factory 3.08 gears. Then when ford put factory 3.27's the EEC just compensated. That would mean even if you had factory 3.27's that you could only go to 3.55's with out a chip.
94-97 came with 3.27 gears... I know 96/97 did for sure...

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:58 AM

People keep posting that if you have a factory 3.27 car that you can put 3.73's in there and be fine and that is simply not true. if you put 3.73's in the car with a 4R70W it will shift weird. Now, it's been said if you do the J-mod or some other shift improver kit, the clutch fill time will be decreased and you might be able to get by that way. I know 3.55's will work fine in a J-modded bird.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:16 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx
My 94 has 3.08's

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 AM

If you didn't get an SC, then you either got Base 3.08's or 3.27's
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 01:10 PM
NRL
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter

Send a message via AIM to NRL
Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnack

94-97 came with 3.27 gears... I know 96/97 did for sure...
It was an option in 94-95 I believe. Anyways what that guy said is what I have always believed... the EEC is programed for 3.08s and any car that had 3.27s got the same EEC programming because the EEC could compensate for the 1 step change in gears.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Green95LX
People keep posting that if you have a factory 3.27 car that you can put 3.73's in there and be fine and that is simply not true. if you put 3.73's in the car with a 4R70W it will shift weird. Now, it's been said if you do the J-mod or some other shift improver kit, the clutch fill time will be decreased and you might be able to get by that way. I know 3.55's will work fine in a J-modded bird.
Aaron k. has a dyno tune and changed from 3.27s to 3.73 AFTER the tune and his car shifts fine. Like i posted earlier, the EEC SHOULD, put an ephamsis on should be able to compensate for a 2 step in ratios. Not everyones car is the same, although, J's tuning software gives the EEC a better adaptive strategy to compensate and allow the 4R to shift correctly.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:33 PM

i agree with you totally on that, but the majority of the people haven't had a Dyno tune or had their EEC reprogrammed. for the majority of people 3.73's are just too much of a change for the car to function correctly.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

i just wanted to thank everyone for the great info. i decided on the apten chip and will have it hopefully by the end of this week, and can install the gears then also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in