Green O/D light blink (yes I searched) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Green O/D light blink (yes I searched)

Ok, I looked around for a possible solution for this, and I found everything from low fluid to a need for total rebuild. I just performed the J-Mod on the 95. Installed new 1-2 and 2-3 accum. and the updated top spring for the 1-2, and left 2-3 spring out. Added a B&M cooler as well. It has been driving fine since Monday when I got it done, but tonight on the way home while I was pulling into the gas station, the light started to blink. I left it running as I ran in to get a soda, and it was still on when I pulled out. I tried to use the button to get it to engage/disengage, but it seemed to lock me out. While pulling up the hill from the station, it seemed that the car was lugging more than normal, like the trans was keeping it from doing something. I didn't want to floor it to cause a huge downshift in case there is something really screwed up in it. The light went off about 2 min. from home, and all was normal. I checked the fluid when I got home and noticed it was a little bit off, so I topped it off. Won't know if it will do it again until wife drives it tomorrow. I need to know where a good place to get the codes scanned would be? A dealer? Trans. shop? Autozone? I need to look into this asap in case there is a serious problem. If it's something inside the trans that I can access when the pan is down, that's great because I should be installing my 97 deep sump pan w/ drain plug in a few days, so I could fix whatever it is that's causing this while I'm in there again.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Good question. I'm not certain Autozone's code reader will read that type of code. The dealership can, most likely, but their diagnostics will run $85. A transmission shop explained to me that it's indicating an error, and has gone into a 'failsafe' mode...without a diagnostics, they couldn't say what the error may be, but the 'lockout' you mentioned sounds very familiar.

Each to his own, but it may be worth the diagnostics fee...however, if you're installing a deeper pan, I'd suggest doublechecking all the connections around the valve body.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I guess I may have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. Damn. I will check all the elec. conn. while I have the pan down again. Maybe one worked it's way loose. Hope it's nothing serious. Don't really want to fork out the $$ for a Reinhart tranny right now. I'll have to see if it happens again. Could have been just low fluid.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Seeing as you just did the J-Mod before the OD light started flashing, I would suspect the problem arose from that point.

Go back and double/triple check everything.

Sounds too coincidental to be anything else.

Plus, if you HAVE TO, I would take it to a tranny shop that you trust, instead of the Dealer, as they will be more familiar with "shift kit" installations, which is basically what the J-Mod is.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I was too thinking that it was coincidental w/ the mod. I have a feeling that one of the elec. connections may have worked it way loose. Is that possible? I would think that since it shifts a bit more firmly than stock and I had to remove/reinstall the connections after the mod, that maybe just from shifting it decided to wiggle loose a hair. I will see if the fluid fill-up helps, and if not, time to re-inspect while installing the deep pan.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MadRussian Send a message via MSN to MadRussian Send a message via Yahoo to MadRussian
The AutoZone here can read transmission codes.

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Cool. I'll drop by AutoZone tomorrow and see what the deal is. My wife drove it to work today and said the light never came on.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to MadRussian Send a message via MSN to MadRussian Send a message via Yahoo to MadRussian
If the light is not flshing, then there is no code they can pull...

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So the EEC will not store a code, even if it is not present at the time of a scan? I thought the EEC retained all codes until they were dumped by an outside source via either a scanner, or disconnection of batt.? I could be wrong. It happens.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If it's been blinking, the code should still be in there, as long as the battery remains connected. Most codes are.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:17 PM
6th Gear Poster

That want the case for my solenoid codes, but yours may differ.

-Andrey

96 LX 4.6L
13.215 @ 103.09
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

EEC will flash O/D light when fault is detected, sets code and stores it in memory even if light is no longer on. O/D switch WILL still work unless it is unable to due to transmission fault, like a disconnected wire. I had this happen, I would start my car, light would flash for anywhere from 15 sec to a minute or so, then go off. AutoZone's code reader showed no codes, so don't even bother with them...they even tried to tell me that the flashing O/D light would not set a code...only the Check Engine light. You need an NGS (New Gen. STAR Tester) that dealers have, or maybe if there is a Vo-Tech around with an auto shop they will charge less to have your codes pulled. They should have an NGS.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, I'll look into it. So far it hasn't flashed again, and all gears seem to be ok. After I topped off the fluid (which was a little low), I haven't had it happen again. Still gonna have the codes pulled to see what caused it in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in