Tranny Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Tranny Problem

I've had some strange things happening with the tranny. I searched and picked up nothing. It is like it is completely disengaging and when I let off the gas it reengages with a slight grind. It shifts fine for a while and then does it again randomly usually when I intend to pass or giving more gas to go up a hill. I was thinking it could be the pump going not allowing enough pressure under demand. Need info.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like something unusual like that. Does this happen in any particular gear, all gears, etc. ? I'd check the line pressures and see if they're within normal specs. Then I'd start suspecting seals are wearing thin.

BTW I like the #1 Mark IV you've got in your avatar... ever seen it in person?
I can't find my pics of the red one, but I do have these...

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I've saw one from afar could'nt get real close, but it's one bad a** machine.

When you say seals do you mean pump seals or something else?

It seems to do it when it kicks down to passing gear.

One more thing the car sat for a while before I got it and it has 48000 on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Is it slipping into neutral gear?
JH

Quote:
Originally posted by chunk
I've had some strange things happening with the tranny. I searched and picked up nothing. It is like it is completely disengaging and when I let off the gas it reengages with a slight grind. It shifts fine for a while and then does it again randomly usually when I intend to pass or giving more gas to go up a hill. I was thinking it could be the pump going not allowing enough pressure under demand. Need info.

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

It seems like it, then it grinds some after I let off the gas and seems fine.

Last edited by chunk; 03-19-2004 at 06:26 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Anybody.......trying to get some ideas as to what this may be.

there is no CEL

it does it randomly

the tranny fluid looks fine

if I'm real light on the pedal it dosn't seem to do it.

when it's not doing it it shifts fine.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd try replacing the MLPS first, the 94-5s were known to have problems with them.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver95Bird
I'd try replacing the MLPS first, the 94-5s were known to have problems with them.
What would the name be without the acronym(MLPS). I'm trying to do a search to find out how much.

Thanks Silver95Bird
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Manual Lever Position Sensor or (TR) Transmission range sensor. The grubby looking guy behind the counter will probably call it a neutral safety switch. lol.
I hear NAPA has one that will work, costs about $30 that way. Ford's prices are a joke.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Silver95Bird, From what I'm reading about the sensor it could be my problem. Basically says it can happen any time, more when it's wet or humid because of a bad seal on the sensor or bad connection do you concur?

They said it was more prone to happen on the 94 cars because they did'nt have a seal on the sensor.

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there anything else you can think of?

Thanks

Last edited by chunk; 03-20-2004 at 05:37 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes water intrusion is the main problem. It's mainly a 94 problem but I wouldnt be surprised if some 95s have the early sensors too. The problem with MLPS failures is that they can be very hard to trace... replacing it is the first thing I would do in your spot.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ,I'll check it out tommorow.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Due to the job it took me a long time to get the MLPS in. I still have the problem of ti jumping out of gear under power intermittently, what else could this be???

I've never changed the fluid or the filter, could the filter be dirty not allowing proper flow during accelleration.

I hope it's something that can be fixed without a rebuild.

Last edited by chunk; 05-01-2004 at 07:08 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

well a fluid change could never hurt... and it might let you know what the state of things is for the tranny in general. What gears does it jump out of? Is it getting worse?

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

It seems like it's jumping out of both 2nd and 3rd under hard throttle, however it did do it once under minimal throttle. But it dosn't seem like it's getting worse it's as random as it was before.

I'm wondering if maybe I might have gotten a bad MLPS?

Any clues?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I suppose it's possible, but I would find that to be very odd. The timing of the problems doesn't seem to point to anything I can pinpoint internally either - check the electrical connector on the pass. rear side of the tranny, maybe it is occasionally coming loose? Has it ever been disturbed/removed? Have any of the connectors inside the pan been disturbed/removed recently?

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Nothing has been moved or diconnected to my knowledge. I have narrowed it down to it happening in just the 1st to 2nd shift randomly.

Also last night it seemed like when I was pulling out it was in 2nd gear instead of 1st

Another thought I was having is, I haven't done the Jmod with the updated accumulators.

Is it possible that the accumulator is sticking or binding during full throttle and jumping out of gear? Along with the other symptoms

Sorry I wasn't more specific about when it was happening, the thing with it sticking in second just happened last night.

Thanks
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If its the 1-2 shift I would suspect the accumulator. You can replace the accumulator without having to remove the valve body, so it's pretty easy to do. Good snap ring pliers are a must though. 48k isn't that old, even a 95 tranny can last a lot longer than that if cared for well.

Personally I think if you're going in there, you should just do the Jmod and be done with it. If you dont want hard shifts you can always install the purple lower 1-2 spring. Use Mercon V, and add a tranny cooler.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I have all the parts to do the J-mod just didn't get around to doing it, looks like this is going to kick me into gear, no pun intended.

Do you think there is any damage to the bore in the tranny?

I know in the article that it says you can just scotchbrite it and it should be fine.

Thanks Silver95Bird for the info, if I have any questions I'll be sure to look you up.

Thanks again
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 PM

An accumulator piston sounds about right to me. Maybe one sticking or the seals on one or all are bad. Maybe you should check your gear shifter and make sure that it is aligned right. I have accidently had it like halfway between D and N and it would move but slip (didn't drive down the road like that, just out of the driveway). I don't think you have a pump problem. You would most likely hear the pump whine or have a real light vibrating noise coming from the front of the trans in neutral or park on idle.

Hope that helps,

Clay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in