3.73 posi trac - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

3.73 posi trac

Ok, so i really want to get posi trac 3.73's.....where can i get this and how much? I heard for all parts its like 600 then additional to get them put on...is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
I put 4.10's and a trac loc in my car. I spent around $400 on parts with some connections. I know a guy that installs gears so it didn't cost me anything. But most shops are going to charge you quite a bit to do it. If you have any local message boards, ask if there is anyone on there that does gear set up and you could problaby have it done for $100. If you are going to take it to a shop, you might as well just buy the pumpkin from FRPP as it ends up about the same price. Might as well get all new stuff.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

See if JustinH has one left, if you got that then it would only be an install job. Plus you get the nifty aluminum case...

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:04 PM

GM differential in a Ford rear end?

Quote:
Originally posted by JLBiRd0024
Ok, so i really want to get posi trac 3.73's.....
Wouldn't a FORD differential work much better, in your FORD differential case? I'm curious why you think a GM Clutch Type, Limited Slip differential will work better than the Ford Trac-Loc?

Curious 68COUGAR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLBiRd0024
Ok, so i really want to get posi trac 3.73's.....where can i get this and how much?
If your absolutely sure you want an Eaton Posi, Here's the info from a JEGS catalog.

P/N: 362-19605-010, Ford 8.80" axle car/Truck, 1979-up, 28 spline -- $472.99

68COUGAR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Poster

JLBiRd0024,
An eaton posi with 3.73 or 4.10 is the way to go. But don' t forget that we have IRS, the listing from 68cougar is for solid rear axles. Extra machining is required. If you do a search I mentioned somewhere before about what I had to do. The little extra cost is well worth it in the end. As for as I remember there is only one other member of the forum that has completed this install. There maybe a few more people now, but I don't think Eaton has completed the modifacion to the unit to make it an off the shelf bolt on.
Some update me if I am incorrect please?

Manitoba's fastest MN12 as far a I know!
Fast, but not nearly fast enough!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in