J-mod questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

J-mod questions

I know the topic of the j-mod has been beaten to death, and I've read a lot of threads on it myself. I do have two things I'd like to ask though before I decide to buy, which are really too personalized to find accurate answers on.

First of all, I'm trying to decide which level to go with, either low (<300hp) or medium (300-450 hp or something like that). Now as you can see in my signature, I have a fairly weak car and I don't intend on getting a Coy Miller upgrade any time soon. The idea of really hard shifts intrigues me though. Now when I'm only giving it a little gas, I don't want my neck to be broken. I don't mind a little bump though. When I'm flooring it, I don't care if it throws people out of the window. They should've been wearing their seat belts anyway, and most people know to do when I'm driving. So would the medium setting provide a decently plush drive when I'm light on the throttle? Also, I have the stock V-6 drivetrain except for an 8.8" differential I have coming in the mail and it'll probably be a while before I upgrade anything else. Would the medium setting be really harsh on it or would it be within reasonable limits? I don't want to be buying u-joints every month, but I'd rather buy them once or twice a year than have to rebuild my tranny again.

Secondly, I'm going to type out the list of parts Dan and I came up with. I just want to make sure I haven't left out a really important part. Costs are already at several weeks worth of pay checks, so don't give me any expensive parts unless they're critical.

'99 valve body
valve body gasket
pressure control solenoid (I'm debating this one, since I had my tranny rebuilt a few years back and may already have the new version)
pressure control solenoid bracket
top accumulator spring
bottom accumulator spring
oil pan
pan gasket
tranny filter
1-2 accumulator
1-2 accumulator cover
2-3 accumulator

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:07 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I did mine plus a few others with the less than 300hp and the shifts are firm enough, everyone is happy with it. If you want firmer shifts, leave the bottom accumulator spring out.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
i agree with joe. he's the one who did mine. <300 hp and leave out the bottom 1-2 spring and you will love it trust me.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Okay, I'm going to trust you guys on this.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in