tapping M8 TC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

tapping M8 TC

Hi,
I just got a new remanufactured Mark VIII TC, which does not come with a drain plug. Was wondering if I could tap a hole to fit the drain plug from my old '95 TC. Anyone done that before? Any risks of screwing up the TC? What size hole should I tap out and where is the best place to put the plug? I've never tapped out a hole before, but I have access to tools. Or should I forget about the plug, install as is, and use the cooler-line method (by the way, when draining using the cooler-line method, is there any risk to the tranny when all the fluid is flushed out with the engine still running?).

Also, I need some advice on what kind of transmission jack I should get to install the TC. I'm going to be using jack stands and the "unbolting-pumpkin" method, so I won't be needing to remove the tranny (just need to be able to slide it back to access the TC). Should I just get an adapter for my hydraulic jack? Or is that not a good idea? Thanks in advance.

-Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leojeng
Hi,
I just got a new remanufactured Mark VIII TC, which does not come with a drain plug. Was wondering if I could tap a hole to fit the drain plug from my old '95 TC. Anyone done that before? Any risks of screwing up the TC? What size hole should I tap out and where is the best place to put the plug? I've never tapped out a hole before, but I have access to tools. Or should I forget about the plug, install as is, and use the cooler-line method (by the way, when draining using the cooler-line method, is there any risk to the tranny when all the fluid is flushed out with the engine still running?).

Also, I need some advice on what kind of transmission jack I should get to install the TC. I'm going to be using jack stands and the "unbolting-pumpkin" method, so I won't be needing to remove the tranny (just need to be able to slide it back to access the TC). Should I just get an adapter for my hydraulic jack? Or is that not a good idea? Thanks in advance.

-Leo

I've thought about this - My bro in law drilled and tapped his TC in his mercedes and it works great.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
4th Gear Poster

I can't answer your drain plug question, but I've used both tranny jack adapters, and have rented a purpose built tranny jack. The adapter works just fine I have not problems using it and its similar to one that I've rented before. I also once rented a really nice tranny jack in that it had a lot of little adjustments to it and swivel caster wheels on all corners, made things really easy to line up. All depends on what your local rental place has.

Rentals cost me $30 each time.
Adapter for my existing jack was $40 at harbor freight.

I finally broke down and got the adapter to save money in the long run and to not run into rental time constraints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in