Mark VIII Traction Assist Operation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Post Mark VIII Traction Assist Operation

As promised yesterday, here is an analysis of the traction assist as they pertain to the Gen I and Gen II Mark VIII’s.

The manuals I used were for a 96 Mark VIII and 97 Mark VIII (I couldn’t find anything in my 94 T’Bird manual that discussed Traction Assist, but it was getting late, so I didn’t look real hard. ) If anyone has information on the SC Traction Assist/Control, please post. Also, I'm doing this from memory since I didn't want to lug the huge manuals to work. So don’t quote me on the actual times (but the theory is correct).

They both work the same way mechanically with the Gen II’s having controls into the PCM that the Gen I’s does not.

On both Gen I and Gen II:
When the ABS system recognizes wheel spin on either of the two rear tires, it closes a valve, which isolates the front brake system from the two rear brake lines. The ABS pump then applies brake pressure to the offending (spinning) wheel. This then transfers more power to the wheel that is not spinning. (I need to double check and see if it is both wheels that get locked or if it does modulate the left and right)

While this is happening the front brake system is working as normal. If the brake is pressed while the Traction Assist is active, the ABS system immediately disengages the Traction Assist and everything reverts back to normal.

If continued wheel spin is detected, the system will only work for approximately 10 seconds and then disengage to keep the rear brakes from overheating. It also has some built in timers to avoid repeated heating of the rear brakes.

Here is where the Gen II differs:
The ABS/Anti-Wheel Spin module has inputs to the PCM/ECU/EEC (or whatever you want to call the computer ) and removes fuel and spark to unload the engine. They call it “reducing torque” as to not fry the rear brakes.

I knew it removed spark, but I didn’t know that it also removed fuel. It is VERY noticeable in my 97 LSC as it feels like it almost dies if I try to spin with the TC enabled.

Anyway, I just thought I would post that. This is just basically a regurgitation form the OEM manuals.

Hope everyone enjoyed.

p.s. My axle code on my 97 is "34"

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Nice write up you have, that's interesting. Does the ABS module communicate over a data bus, or are the inputs directly wired to/from the ABS/PCM modules?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I'll have to check that.

On the Mark, who knows!!

Sometimes they use the data bus, sometimes they use hard wiring.

I'll dig out my EVTM for the Mark and see if I can find anything.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in