Cooler Line splicing. Help Please???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Cooler Line splicing. Help Please????

I got my cooler, I know where I want to mount it (no I will not "cheese out," why does he say that anyway?) and I have my splash sheild off of the front of my car, since I am placing it right underneath the power steering cooler.

I was wanting to ask could someone describe to me exactly how or where I splice the lines into the transmission? Also where exactly are the lines that I need to splice (oil return line, and any others I don't know about).

Pictures would be extremely helpful!

Also, is the car in any danger with the splash sheild off? My grandfather sayz no... Just wanted to make sure..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

No photo of my set up, unfortunately, but I didn't have to cut any OEM transmission fluid line with the way I connected the cooler.

I disconnected the top transmission fluid line from the driver's side of the radiator, slid the transmission cooler hose over the end of the tube, and used an extra-wide hose clamp to secure the hose. As for the hose-to-radiator, I got the correct size barbed fitting, screwed it into the connector on the radiator, and secured the hose with a hose clamp.

This page has a photo which shows a connection very similar to what I did.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by IronChopz
No photo of my set up, unfortunately, but I didn't have to cut any OEM transmission fluid line with the way I connected the cooler.

I disconnected the top transmission fluid line from the driver's side of the radiator, slid the transmission cooler hose over the end of the tube, and used an extra-wide hose clamp to secure the hose. As for the hose-to-radiator, I got the correct size barbed fitting, screwed it into the connector on the radiator, and secured the hose with a hose clamp.

This page has a photo which shows a connection very similar to what I did.
I thought the hoses weren't supposed to rub against each other? Isn't he risking a possibilty of a break or leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
just get a tube cutter, and cut the top hardline a few inches from the fitting. Then plumb your cooler inline with that.

I would use some ss hoses, the rubber doesn't do it for me anymore.

Then use two hose clamps on each side of the connection to keep mr. leak from starting.

I use fuel injection clamps because they don't back out like a regular hose clamp.

Zip tie your tranny cooler to the a/c condensor, I won't tell anyone.

JH
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
just get a tube cutter, and cut the top hardline a few inches from the fitting. Then plumb your cooler inline with that.

I would use some ss hoses, the rubber doesn't do it for me anymore.

Then use two hose clamps on each side of the connection to keep mr. leak from starting.

I use fuel injection clamps because they don't back out like a regular hose clamp.

Zip tie your tranny cooler to the a/c condensor, I won't tell anyone.

JH
I already got my splash sheild off, and I really don't even know how to zip tie it to the A/C condenser (it looks a little cramped from the A/C condenser to the radiator...)!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

you're fine with no splash shield, it's always in the way when you need to work on the car. Also, IMO I'd avoid using zipties, as they are a b***h to get off once you put them on. I screwed up cutting one off and put a nice leak in my A/C condenser...doesn't matter though...I just deleted the A/C altogether.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in