Shift Kit Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Shift Kit Question

What I would like to know is while i have the trans open is there anything i should replace while i have it open.......i am installing a B&M Shift Kit (I know ill get flamed for the B&M but i have had success with them in the past and i have a 91 AOD so the Jmod is out) ive never done a Ford shift kit...i only did Chevys when i was younger......also the shift kit is just for the summer until i save some cash for the Valve Body from PA..........i have tried to read and search the forums but it all seems geared toward the 94 and newer Transmissions I just wanna make sure that while i have it open i can change any small things that would be a help

Thanks

Steve

PS im also doing a trans cooler

MOD OR WHOEVER NEEDS TO PLEASE DELETE THIS AS IT SEEMS I WONT GET AN ANSWER

Last edited by BigSteve1967; 04-26-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
the only thing that you should need to replace when you are doing the shift kit is the tranny filter and gasket. you want to drain the complete tranny of fluid, including the converter, and refill with mercon 5. i have an aod as well, though i used the baumann kit, and i switched to mercon 5 with no problems as of yet. everything else should be included with the kit. good luck.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:57 AM
High Output Poster

Send a message via AIM to 91HellCat
You might want to consider upgrading to the A servo OD. The part numbers to upgrade are on Baumann Engineerings website.

1991 Ford Mustang GT
1998 Lincoln Continental
1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:02 PM

Uh-oh... I'm no expert but Mercon V in the '93 and earlier AOD is a bad idea. I can think of 2 people with 86-93 stangs that put merc V in their AOD and it failed and one with an 88 Mark VII AOD. They start slipping supposibly and have realy sluggish shifts and is caused by the fluids synthetics. They break down the old seals in the trans. Also the clutch packs are not designed to use a synthetic like '94 up AODE's and 4R70W's. I would just go with the OEM merc III from the factory like Motorcraft and add a trans conditioner like from BG (they also make awsome fuel system cleaner too) and you will probably find it at local shops or some parts stores. I wouldn't recomend using merc V unless the trans has had a complete overhaul/rebuild.

Now, as for the shift kit the B&M will be great cause you have 2-3 different plates you can install and its easy. I helped a friend install one on a '91 5.0 stang notch back. We installed the street/strip plate and it would break 245/45/ZR17's w/ 1-2 shift and had neck snapping 2-3 shift and over drive was very sudden. The Transgo is very good too.

Hope this helps alot

Clay

PS - I'm not an expert, its just from experince
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

PSST - the seals in the AODE and the AOD are the same thing. And many of them are also the same in the 4R70W. The designer suggests Mercon V, and I'll stick with that.

[soapbox] I don't understand how people run trannies for 150k+ on the original fluid, change it, then have the tranny fail 5k later... and then blame the fluid. it wasn't the fluid that killed the tranny, it was the 150k miles of poor maintenance before then that killed it. [/soapbox]

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
High Output Poster

Send a message via AIM to 91HellCat
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver95Bird
PSST - the seals in the AODE and the AOD are the same thing. And many of them are also the same in the 4R70W. The designer suggests Mercon V, and I'll stick with that.

[soapbox] I don't understand how people run trannies for 150k+ on the original fluid, change it, then have the tranny fail 5k later... and then blame the fluid. it wasn't the fluid that killed the tranny, it was the 150k miles of poor maintenance before then that killed it. [/soapbox]
Exactly.

1991 Ford Mustang GT
1998 Lincoln Continental
1999 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in