AOD Whining...Normal? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Question AOD Whining...Normal?

I have a concern about my AOD.

When I accellerate from a stop at medium to heavy accelleration, my tranny whines until about 2400 rpm and then stops. Sometimes not at all, and sometimes it is really noticeable over my radio.

I can normally hear the gear shifts as it whines.

Note: The tranny fluid level in the unit is completely full.

At slow speeds (up to 10mph) I can hear the tranny, but's it's not a high whine, rather a low sound (like the gears turning).

I know some transmissions are loud, but is this normal? Has anybody else experienced this before?

Could it be my rearend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Old_coot
If its related to engine speed, my guess would be power steering pump???????
Dan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

It's the power steering pump even if I can hear the gear changes?

Let's go with that for a minute: When I first start the car and turn the wheel, it's as if I don't have power steering. Then, after I get going a bit or it warms up, it works just fine.

And when I need to get around a car and have to crank the wheel fast, it feels a little tight and then doesn't want to return to center.

I'm not sure if the noise is related to my PS pump, but it bugs me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Yea i dont think its your tranny, i think its your power steering, try turning the wheel all the way for a few seconds and see if anything sprays out of the lines
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I don't think anything is spraying out of the lines, as I check my fluids regularly and it's always full.

Should I replace the PS Pump? How much would that cost?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Old_coot
About $55 at advance auto and they have the tool to remove and replace the pulley. Just be sure that is the problem before you replace it because it is a minor pain to do. Have a friend move the steering back and forth while you listen under the hood .......................Dan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:17 PM

Also while you listen for the whine rev the engine slightly like to 1500 or 2000 like it would driving it. If you don't hear the whine then it could be gears in the trans. My '93 5.0 mustang w/ AOD whines in 1st and 2nd but not 3rd and 4th. The whine increases with engine RPM and then is gone at 1-2 shift then the whine increases again untill 3rd and no more whine. The 1 and 2 gears whine in my trans. It doesn't get worse or anything its just there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey cman,
Sounds like your cat and mine have the same symptoms. Your description is right on with what my Cougar's been doing.

Mine's been doing that for a year or so (maybe as long as I've owned it). It comes and goes.

How long has yours been doing that?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FasTBird232 Send a message via MSN to FasTBird232 Send a message via Skype™ to FasTBird232
My 95 Bird has the same whine you're talking about. It whines up all the way until it shifts, mostly in first gear.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

These cars do whine a bit, especially in first gear. Try manual 1 when it's very quiet out. The PS thing you should be able to reproduce sitting still and turning the steering wheel... you'll figure out which it is.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:25 PM

My cougar has never whined. Just the 'stang. Even before the trans rebuild I have never had a whine from my trans. Wait... the only whine I have "ever" heard and it had always done it it if I leave it in 1st and decelerate after whinding it out a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in