tranny cooler help... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

tranny cooler help...

alright...i bought a derale tranny cooler and put it on last week in my dorm parking lot. Been driving it around town and it was fine. I drove home (3 hrs) today and when i turn off the car there is smoke, yes smoke, coming from under the car and i could smell tranny fluid. alright now here is the part that i have a qeustion about. when i tried to put in on the fitting was too long and i could not clear the coolant return hose to the engine. So i simply interrupted the hardline at the top rather than the bottom. Could this of caused it. Also i did overfill the fluid a little i think but couldnt drop the pan in the parking lot...i am hoping i can just drain some fluid and that be the end of it. Would having too much fluid cause it to smoke like that? Cause i dont see how the cooler setup would do that cause it is still cooling that much more...any advice would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Well, first of all you say you interrupted the hardline at the top...that's where it's supposed to be as this is the oil coming from the radiator cooler.

You don't need to drop the pan to drain fluid, just disconnect the cooler feed line and stick the end in a bucket with the car idling.

What part of the car was the smoke coming from? Can't say what it might be if you don't specify the general area where smoke was seen. Did you tighten all fittings securely, being careful not to overtighten? If you clamped a hose directly to a hardline, did you use 2 clamps (double clamp method)?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

the smoke comes from behind the wheel on the drivers side...and if i pop the hood it comes from the tranny area (behind the engine). the top line drips slightly but nothing major...i am going to fix it as soon as i get home again. it had plenty fluid when it did this too...i just think i overfilled it, could that have been it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:25 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Sounds like you routed a hose too close to the exhaust manifold.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 06:05 PM

most likely it's leaking at one of the connections. Check the connections again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in