Problem with TV Cable I think - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Problem with TV Cable I think

When im on the highway...say doing about 55-60 and floor it to pass it kicks down to 3rd but wont switch back to 4th unless I let the gas off..Also shifting seems a bit rough some times in normal driving...

Doing a bit of reading up before posting I read about the Throttle Valve Cable, that if wasnt adjusted correctly that I could have Harsh shifting, soft shifting ect..ect..

Upon inspection of this cable I noticed it wasnt even clamped down on the throttle all the way, I popped it off and noticed the cable was broken(the part that clamps on the throttle just slides back and forth over the cable about 2-3").

Ok, sounds like I may have found the problem

Is that a PITA to fix or piece of cake?
and also....
anything I need to watch out for?, should I stop driving the car untill fixed? and how are they adjusted after being replaced?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:58 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jimbobicus
Do not drive your car unless the TV cable is fixed!!! I drove home (about 30 miles) with my TV cable disconnected... I didn't realize that it was my TV cable at the time ..... The tranny was toasted. So you willl have to get that fixed before you drive your car anymore. Unless you're like me and want your transmission to die. I needed an excuse to put in manual transmission.... I now have a T5 and I love every minute of it!

Jimmy

1993 Thunderbird 5.0
Dual exhaust - no cats - Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
T5 - Aluminum flywheel - Stage II clutch

1990 Thunderbird SC
All stock... For now...
-------
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info..

Is it a PITA to switch out myself?

I do my own tune ups and simple bolt on mods, but messing with the tranny scares me a bit.

Also, how hard was it to install this T5 you were talking about just incase?

Thanks Again

Bayou B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

ok, now im really confused

I called a friend that manages the parts dept at a local ford dealership. Told her I needed a TV Cable for a 94 tbird lx 4.6 and she told me she would call me back with price. I get a call a 1/2 hour later and shes asking me what type of tranny I have, front or rear wheel drive..vin # ect..ect. Then she calls back again saying she cannot find this part in her parts database and that she will send one of her mechanics to my office to look at this cable i am talking about.

Anywho. He comes over pops the hood, looks at the cable and says "hey, thats a cruise control cable, not a tv cable, you dont even have a tv cable on this model"

you know, that explains why my cruise control works but will not accelerate.

He suggested coming by the dealership and picking up some ata120 (or something like that) to dump in the tranny that may help with my shifting problems.

Now I noticed the reply I got was from a 5.0 engine owner.

Do 4.6 engines have this cable or not? I am still nervous about driving (although I prob put 500 miles on it with broken cable already).

Please somebody with 94-95 4.6 reply

Thank you
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

94+ MN12's dont have a TV cable, its all done electronically.

Not sure about your tranny problem, can you describe what it's doing a bit more?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Glad to hear that I dont have one

anyways, I am having some hard shifts from 1-2 and on upon flooring it going around 55mph it kicked down to 3rd and stayed in third for what seemed to me like too long, I had to let off the gas to get it to shift. This car is new to me so mayby its doing whats it supposed to. I had a 6.6ltr 79' Trans Am about 10 years ago and it was never this rough, but then again that thing was not as fast as this tbird so who knows.

Thanks again for your help
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Cougar Pilot

It should shift into OD at WOT, but it will rev fairly high (if not all the way to redline) before doing it.

Your 1-2 shift being harsh I would suspect is a broken 1-2 accumulator piston spring. It can even be accessed with the valve body in, if I remember correctly. Just drop the pan and remove a snap ring.

I know what cable you're talking about too I'm sure. I think it may go to the charcoal canister, but that's an educated guess of sorts. I know mine goes into the fenderwell near the high current fuse panel.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in