Who else got crappy MPG with 3.73s? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Talking Who else got crappy MPG with 3.73s?

I seem to be getting crappier mileage with the '02 engine. Now with the 3.73s it's even worse! I don't know if it's my heavy foot or what. I AM just looking at how the fuel gauge moves between trips. It's not acting like it usually does. Yes I know how to calculate actual mileage, I just dont have the odometer for it. I was just curious if anyone else noticed a mileage decrease as well. Thanks
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Jedi Master

that is what one should expect with 3.73, the lower the gear (numerically higher) the lower the gas mileage
your city will drop dramatically compared to the stock gears as well as your highway
you can say that this is the down side to low gears
as for the engine i am not quite sure...many things can come into factor about that, we need more info

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

No it won't, my MPG is roughly 23-26 for highway driving which is actually a tad higher than when I ran 3.27's. I don't do much city so I've never checked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 06:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I've learned one thing about these 4.6L engines: They are very very very sensitive to driving style.

I don’t have the 3.73’s installed yet, but even with my 3.08’s, I can change my mpg upwards of 10 mpg just with my utilization of the gas pedal. If I do steady cruising at around 70 mph I get about 26/27 mpg. If I do every acceleration at WOT, and cruise at around 83 mph, I get around 17/18 mpg. (I don’t do that very often anymore… don’t get me started on gas prices.. )

I have never owned a vehicle that is so greatly effected by driving style.

On a side note, on my Mark, if you put the display on “instant mpg” and go to WOT from a stop, it will show “1 mpg”, at cruise, usually “25 mpg”. (I’m still trying to find a way to get the display to read “-1” )

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:46 AM

Heh..
I bet you could if you asked for it on a custom tune. That'd be a hoot!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Go downhill! I think my foot is probably just slightly heavier with the new gears and engine.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by mn12xr7
that is what one should expect with 3.73, the lower the gear (numerically higher) the lower the gas mileage
your city will drop dramatically compared to the stock gears as well as your highway
In town (city driving) mileage should go up slightly due to you being in your power band and not having to load the engine as much as you did before with the higher gear (numerically lower).

You should lose a few MPG on the freeway, but gain one in the city. Supposedly.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

It's hard to compare... my 95 with the 3.27s got 25-7 on the highway, and stock my 97 (3.27s) would only get 22. EEC programming can affect this quite a bit. The 3.73s are a lot more sensitive to top speed vs MPG, so on the highway I tend to be easier on the loud pedal. Safer and cheaper that way. I'd bet with proper tuning and underdrives, I'd be back near stock MPG. I'll post my mileage on the trip home from Hagerstown this weekend with the 3.73s.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can hardly believe this, but I made a 370 mile round trip monday - and with the A/C on about half the time, and about 40 miles spirited city/ 330 highway miles, I got 24.29 MPG. This may be a record for this car. Not too shabby for 114k old O2 sensors either. I thought I was totally out of gas and coasting into the station. When it kicked back at 14.xx gallons I thought something was wrong, but I put one dollar extra in there just to be sure and it probably got a little overfilled. 15.27 gallons.

This made me wonder: why does the gas light come on so early in 97s? The mileage means it had to have come on when I really had 5 gallons left... With my 95, when the light came on and stayed on I knew I had 3 gallons left. This car it comes on way early and makes the guage look like I'm below E, when I still could have gone a little while.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 12:46 PM
3rd Gear Poster

With 3.73 gear the last mileage was 21.1 mpg with combo of 50/50 city highway. I take city streets into work and the Interstate home. I get between 18-22 depending on weather and how many "fast" cars pull up next to me at the lights. Lowest mpg ever was 16 the first tank after putting in the supercharger. Car would probably get 24 mpg if the wife drove it. But then what would be the point of having a Supercharger?

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in