Tranny stalling... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Tranny stalling...

96 bird, 4.6 130K miles.

It seems the tranny is acting funny. At speeds around 30-40 it kinda starts to stall...kinda seems like maybe in trying to shift down but cant. Also does it when just crusing, and going up a slight incline. For example driving down the highway at around 60 and going up a very so slight long incline. When it starts doing this I can punch it...and it down shifts, and all is fine. Also does this when I am slowly accelerating...for example coming on to a highway from an on ramp.

It never does this under a good amount of throttle.

My first guess is to change the tranny fuild. The last time it was done was around 70K miles...and I have no idea what they put in it. However, when doing this...is going to a typical oil change place not a good idea? I really don't have the time to all that this board lists to do...and really need to take it somewhere.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

sounds like a converter a little bit...

flush the system with Mercon 5 should help alot .... but once it starts the only true way to fix it is to replace the Toque converter.

Also change you Tranni fluid more often and look into a tranni cooler it will save the life of your Tranni. I change my Tranni fluid every 20k miles.

AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forums.

If you don't have time to do the fluid change yourself, you may want to consider going to a transmission shop for the fluid change. They may offer a free road test of the vehicle. Request a 100% transmission fluid change and filter replacement. The T-Tech fluid exchange process (transfusion, as I call it - a reservoir is hooked up to the transmission, the car is started, and the 'natural cycling of the fluid causes the transmission fluid to be 100% exchanged') that oil change places offer doesn't include a filter change (very important!).

Out-of-pocket expense? My estimate: expect $80-$125 for labor, filter, and fluid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:55 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Jeepman,

Besides the filter change and using Mercon V, I would suggest doing the JMod. First, by following the procedures, you'll be cleaning out your valve body which enables the shifting. The changes in springs will slow the wear on your tranny. Also, put a transmission cooler on. You can get one like mine for about $35. Less heat = less wear.

I was reading the Tech articles. You may want to consider getting a new torque converter matched to the type of driving you do. It can boost your MPG and again slow the wear on your tranny.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
PostWhore

jeepman,
Welcome to the board from another Okie.

Definately do the Mercon V and filter change at the minimum. A shop is fine as long as you make it very clear that you want Mercon V.

Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for the suggestions and the welcome!

I am going to look for a place that can do the change next week.

Do you think I would have any luck finding a local place that knows anything about the Jmods? or something like it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

they Jmod was developed by a former Ford engineer and friend to TCCoA and a few other car clubs I highly doubt they would know about the Jmod so to speak. If you want them to do it click this link and print it out for them. http://tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

Its listed as Jerrys Mod....

AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 03:04 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

jeepman,

I know it's about a day's haul up here, but if you got the time and can get up I-35, I suggest you get on Thomas' JMod tour.

Thomas is the Iowa Chapter director. He's putting together days where people needing JMods and people who've done JMods get together at specified locations. I can't make Sunday's (May 16th) in Ames, but I suggest you check out the thread in the Iowa chapter under Club Related\chapters\Iowa Chapter for the other dates Thomas is setting up.

Otherwise get you Oklahoma Chapter director to do the same thing.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Yeah actually I don't think Frank will be making it this weekend. But if you're interested you're welcome to swing over jeepman. Also, Rich (OK Director) ROVKS at J-Mods, so hit him up about it too. I think he did 9 in one weekend once
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I'll check with the okla chapter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in