OD turns on by itself - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

OD turns on by itself

I have a 98 mustang with what im assuming is a 4rw70 and the OD will under throttle once in a while turn on bout 20mph or so.

What could it be? Aside from low fluid or a dicked up OD servo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That's the first time Ive heard of that happening... Could be crossleaks in the valve body, or malfunctioning shift solenoids, something odd like that. Does it do it consistantly, or just once in a while?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 07:09 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

You mean the overdrive band is actually engaging, or just the O/D OFF light comes on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

OD engages. I actually was on the road with it the other day and it would just drive in OD only. It would switch into it if you gave it gas....then the more i drove it, it would rev like it was in nuetral, then if you kept giving it gas it would eventually take and drive again...but the more i drove it the more it did it...til finally it would just kill the engine. The whole thing would die. (except electrical)

IDEARS FELLERS?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
Originally posted by RobinCali
the more i drove it the more it did it...til finally it would just kill the engine.
If it killed the engine then I'd start checking out the torque converter clutch solenoid. As long as the converter is unlocked, I don't see how the engine could die completely, no matter how much the trans bogs it down it should still run. Think of the car idling in gear with your foot on the brake...the input shaft is not even turning but the engine still runs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

yeah it doesnt die with the engine just running in park.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

anybody know anyone reputable in the DC, VA area?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

why would that kill the engine though????
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Chances are if you take it to a shop they'll tell you it needs a rebuild. It's almost guaranteed, unless you know someone personally. I'd check the electrical connections, then if those are all okay, I'd measure the resistance of the solenoids.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Uhm.. the car is revving like it's in neutral if while you're in overdrive? isn't that a symptom of the OD Band slipping on the drum?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 PM

Another case where a trip to the dealer or someone else with a tranny test box will save time and $. There are 4 control solenoids on these trannies, and you have to figure out whether they are all working right, and whether they are being commanded properly.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

i noticed one of my ground wires was loose that wraps around the backside of the battery but i doubt it has anything to do with it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Alrighty fellas...here's an update.

Found a leak since I got the car back from getting the header bolts tightened and gaskets replaced. Didnt have it before, but now i do. I dont know if the shop is responsible or not. Been dry bone in the garage forever til now.

Had it taken to a Superior Transmission Service here in Fredericksburg, and they call me with all the codes they retrieved.

They see Bank 02 being lean 78 mv under 100 under 200
ECM Internal Rom Error
TPS signal being too low .49
EGR

Now is this due to the chip I bought from Dennis not performing correctly or the fact that I have a chip in the first place?
Is this due to the fact that the 60mm 89-93 5.0 60mm TB from Flex (with the tps/iac) being installed and not programmed for?
Could it be an 02 sensor? Injector?

How can you tell where to go from here with this all being known?

Tranny shop cant proceed (so they say) until the drivability concerns are taken care of.

HELP!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

ttt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd fix the TPS issue, and the EGR issue... those could be affecting it. the leanness and the chip code error won't affect the tranny at all.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Here it is fellas...SO FAR!

Found a huge piece of carbon on the plug and it was actually arcing to the chunk of carbon. Wierd. AND....the TPS cable had one of the tabs broken so it wasnt seated right. Wiggling it around you could see the signal cut in and out. The shaking miss was also shaking that connector out.

Still have a leak on the tranny though...hope to have that figured out monday. Looks to be from the pan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in