Some info for a sick cat. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Some info for a sick cat.

Hey everybody, my friends 91' cougar seems to be under the weather, here is what he had to say about it;

Man, damn car. I was listening to music yesterday, turned it up and the stereo died on me. I thought, "Ok, just a fuse, no problem." It was like 10 so I wasn't going to do anything then. Today I go to the fuse box and the stereo fuse is fine, I'm now going wtf, then remember "wait, the stereo has a fuse on the back of it", that ones fine, too. Now I'm really going What The F***. So I take it to best buy to have them look at it, on the way there my cars kicking a bit more then usual when the gears change. I get to best buy and they go "Your warenty expired 6 days ago, we can't help you." What The F***!!! Ok, I ask the guy to install my old stereo, I always carry it around. He installs it and can you guess what? I get one ****ing AM station (thats it, the seek buttons don't work), the clock no longer fuctions, and that one station I do get changes between static, mexican music, and evagelists depending on where I am. Now I'm at WHAT THE F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remeber that kick I mentioned earlier? Now the car is shaking violently every time it tries to get into 1st gear. Now I'm beyond WHAT THE F*** to yelling every obsanity I could possibly come up with, even if they don't exist. I have never been this angry ever before. My cars sound system was the one thing about it I loved, now thats gone and I'm haveing transmission problems. I just feel like curling up into a corner.

Any idea's on what could be wrong? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:01 AM
PostWhore

It's not under the weather - it's possesed!

sorry, couldn't resist...

I know it ain't much help but I'd yank the stereo entirely and focus on one problem at a time starting with why the transmission isn't shifting. Since I've never heard of loud music killing a transmission - maybe some more detail? Like if it's an AOD when was the filter and fluid last changed? The engine is running properly or no?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Jedi Master

i have the same problem in stereo but mine is factory, mine happens to have a recall but i really don't care for having my ride bump so i'm just leaving it as is, i might replace it for a newer version later though but i will be sticking with oem stereos

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well you kinda lumped both cars and problems together, but from what i read sounds like a battery issues, and or alt issues. to have the radio go out and the tranny acting funny , might be the issue. i had a somewhat similar issue a month or 2 ago with my 92, i knew i was in trouble when i rolled up the window and the bat light came on and the radio quit playing, then the tach started acting funny . then i turned ont he turn signal to turn into my works parking lot and it almost died . shut it off and its completely dead, no lights nothing, well the alt had a bad diode and the battery went south with it. not saying thats the issue but a good place to start.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
The Parts Guy

Does the instrument panel and instrument panel illumination still work? I remember blowing a fuse in the power distribution block (fuse panel under the hood) in my old 89 LS when I turned the radio up too loud. It killed power to the radio and the digital instrument cluster at the same time.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
i used to blow a fuse in the power distribution block (under the hood) in my old 93 tbird with a big stereo system. it was the 5 amp memory fuse. after it blew twice, i replaced it with a 10 amp fuse and never had the problem again. same symptoms as you, turned it up and radio cut out and wouldnt come back on. check that fuse, that problem might be a simple fix.

As for the tranny, i'm not sure, but try changing the tranny fluid and filter and see if that makes a difference.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 AM

Check to see if your battery cables are corroded or loose. I had a similar thing happen on a 90 Mustang. The radio would play intermittantly and the trans would shift eractically. The connector at the battery end was fine, it was the OTHER end that was slightly loose. This drove me crazy for days. I even put it in the shop and they gave up. How I found it was I had the hood open while the thing was in Park and goilg crazy when I accidently put my hand on the non-battery end of the cable and Bingo!

Tony
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Full Metal

Send a message via AIM to RedThunder94 Send a message via Yahoo to RedThunder94
hey, i had the same problem with my radio, which fuse is it in the distribution block? tia, later'z......

Smash Forehead on Keyboard to Continue....

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB Infinity 2 way 6x8's, and Eclipse 5x7 3 ways, Fultron Tweets, Infinity 1211A, Alpine SWR-1222D Type-R 12.

1999 VW New Beetle SOLD!

1990 F150 Lariat Xlt 4.9L std cab longbed, E4OD, Work Truck.

1994 F150 XL 5.0L 4R70W Current Project.

Member of the MN12Online posse.

click here to check 'em out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in