4.10 swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to TrevorSmith
4.10 swap

i have been reading this forum for a good 2 hours now regarding the swap, and honestly i am a little scared. seems very complicated. i was wondering if it is possible to buy these http://www.fortesparts.com/productDe...cfm?prodID=116 and take them to a shop and have them swap it out or would buying the entire pumpkin be a better route to take. i dont plan on driving insanely fast so i dont think that the driveshaft would be an issue. and also i would get a chip from apten very shortly after the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 AM
PostWhore

You can't buy a 4.10 pumpkin off the shelf. Don't try and set them up yourself. Pay someone to do it right.

John

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7
1992 Thunderbird GT 5.0L
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:08 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Hey Trevor, welcome to the board. Nice to see another Ontarioian here .

About the gears, take them to a shop that has done them before. You have to be able to get the backlash set just right, otherwise you'll get clunking and whining from the gears.

Have watched my brother (licensed mechanic) change gears at least 10 times, and it's still not something I'd try even though I have the head knowledge.

What works best is buying a used 8.8" pumpkin from a junkyard and having the 4.10's put into that. Then you'll have your stock set (3.08?) that you can put back in if/when you get rid of the car.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:38 AM

Burlington eh?I live there aswell.. There are also a lot of other super coupe members around here... probably about 25+ within a 40minute radius of us heh. There is a weekly meet at the Devils harp tonight actually... come on downnnnn. Or you can follow me there if ya want to go..

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

is the ontario forum.

Anyways, I just had a pumpkin with 3.73s built and I'll be putting it in this weekend. Thats most likely what you would have to have done. Doing it your self just takes a lot of time and the proper tools..... and to know what you are doing...

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5o...5ohtech001.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in