94 t-bird tranny problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to MadGoat Send a message via MSN to MadGoat
Exclamation 94 t-bird tranny problems

Well,

I know my year of tranny's are not the best at ALL. But it is now on 135k and it is messin up. Here is the low-down. The car would sometimes under a little gas, rev high but accel really slow. (Like you know your car well enough that with that much gas it should be pickin up and goin a LOT quicker) I could let off the gas a little to bring the revs down... Then hit it again and it seemed to respond again. Now though ( and I don't know if these are related) it is slipping out of gear. When shifting from 1 to 2, under light accel, it will pop out of gear right when it seems that it should shift into second gear. Revs go high (until I pull my foot off) then when the revs get back down to about 2000 it goes into second, with a cerrr-cluck sound. All while I'm lossing speed. I'm running dextron 3 I beilieve... Not the new stuff. And the tranny has never had anything except a shift spring replaced to solve a problem where it took a long time to shift into drive from park. So maybe you guys might be able to lead me in the right direction? As far as I have been thinking, I thought it might be a torque converter problem when the car was reving but not movin quick enough. But with this new problem. Could the TC not be locking causing the revs to go really high to make the speed it needs to, and when the shift to second gear comes around its just to high an rpm to catch the next gear? ( just a thought and i don't know much at all about tranny's) anyway... Thanks ahead of time... And my email address is: [email protected] if you could email me some responses that would be great, as I just moved and don't have the internet up yet. But I can send and get emails on my cell phone... Thanks again.

MadGoat's Birds
94 Thunderbird LX 4.6L PI
03 Aluminum PI Engine, J-Mod, Aluminum one piece drive shaft, 3.27's, 2.5" to single 3" custom MagnaFlow exhaust, 07 17x8 Bullit Wheels
97 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:12 PM

My first guess would be that your fluid is low. That would be the first place to look. As for the 1-2 slip, it might the the MLPS. I know mine has acted up a few times but doesn't really do it unless its wet outside and I give it full throttle.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Fluid is perfect, and I was thinking about MLPS.. Is that something I can replace myself?... As for the slow off the line problem I think its the TC....

Also: if you see this... Silver95bird.... What do you think?

MadGoat's Birds
03 Aluminum PI Engine, J-Mod, Aluminum one piece drive shaft, 3.27's, 2.5" to single 3" custom MagnaFlow exhaust, 07 17x8 Bullit Wheels
RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

MLPS is something you can probably replace in less than 30 minutes. The hardest part will be jacking up the car, unless you have a lift.

By the way, do you know exactly what spring was replaced to make it shift into drive faster? I, and several others here, have that problem.

1994 Thunderbird LX 232
Discarded air silencer. Gutted cats. [email protected] mph at this point. 8.8" Trackloc differential with polyurethane bushings. PA manual valvebody. Sport springs.

1989 Thunderbird SC 5-speed
ESM ported supercharger. Performance exhaust.

2005 Yamaha YZF600R
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok,
I'm looking into replacing the MLPS, but I'm looking in the manual to get the info I need (where this thing is and how to go about taking it out) and it doesn't have Anything for my year! Nothing! Nadda! This manual doesn't even have any useful info on the 4.6 at all... I love chiltons, but this one sucks ballzack.... Should I look at a hayes manual? Or are there better manuals for the 94 t-bird 4.6 v8 lx out there? Cause looking for anything in this one sucks @ss.... ( kinda frustrating).

Thanks guys...
MG

MadGoat's Birds
RIP
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd check and make sure the fluid level is right first. Has the 1-2 accumulator been replaced with the newer style? That would delay the 2nd gear shift. The thing that scares me about it is that it's making a racket when it does engage 2nd... makes me wonder if the roller intermediate one-way clutch isnt giving up the ghost. Cross your fingers and hope it's just a little low on fluid.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
makes me wonder if the roller intermediate one-way clutch isnt giving up the ghost
BINGO!

A worn 1-2 accululator piston wouldn't neutral out on the 1-2 shift, it will just hold 1st for longer. My roller one-way crapped out and it would neutral on the 1-2 shift then SLAM into second IF it would even go into second.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok.....
So, if it the roller thing... Whatt should I be looking at doing? I check my fluids very often (about once a week) so I know the tranny fluid is fine. Am I looking down the line of a rebuild? Or shall I walk a stray path and buy a used newer tranny? (Then j-mod and what not before I throw it in?)... Which way? I guess its now a question of rebuild or whole new tranny (used prolly) .... And which one would be less money and less down time? Thanks for your help guys.

MG

MadGoat's Birds
RIP
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 PM

Rebuild time. Bad roller clutches don't get better. Upgrade to the mechanical diode and this won't happen again.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 09:06 AM

I am having similiar tranny problems with my 94 as well. Feels like it is slipping. After coming to a stop and then going again, it doesn't want to go. Eventually it catches up and connects or something. I also get the shaking like you going over the ridges on the side of the road. Once I let off the gas it stops, then I can get back into it. My car has 165K on it by the way, supposidly the tranny was rebuilt\replaced a year ago by the previous owner, so I don't know that my tranny is "bad", but you never know.

Is there any merit to the fact that it seems to run better when cold, just after start up and go. Once my car got warmed up the worse it was to drive, tranny wise.

My car is at the shop now, going to do a complete fluid change and filter too. After that I am really not sure.

Thanks

Jeff
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Jeff,
The rumble strips kind of thing is probably TC shudder... I am starting to suspect they did not replace the Torque Converter when they rebuilt the tranny. If this is the case, the TC may have spread debris through the trans, and it's likely the cause of your other problem, the forward clutch seal rings are leaking. The seal rings could also be leaking if the radiator cooler was not properly flushed out when the transmission was rebuilt. Either way the seals won't fix themselves... I hope that trans is still under warranty.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:53 PM

Thanks, not sure about the warranty thing, bought the car privately from someone who couldn't find the paperwork for the tranny work (go figure). I hopefully will find a tranny and torque converter soon. Because that will be the next step unless something magically happens in the next couple days while at my local mechanics shop.

More info to come....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, good luck with that man. It looks like I might be getting a rebuild from a well known mechanic down here. He is willing to do the j-mod and such free of charge. All for about 800. 2 year warranty. Seems good to me.

MG

MadGoat's Birds
RIP
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by greenersport
...bought the car privately from someone who couldn't find the paperwork for the tranny work (go figure)...
Ah yes, the old: "I got it done just last week but lost the paperwork to prove it" gig.

Followed by: "I don't remember the name of the shop that did it. It's like 300 miles away or something."

Been there.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:03 AM

The only reason I bought the car was because I got it at a good price and thought it would be cool to start mod'ing it up. I still plan to, just need to get over this tranny problem.

Wish I had a lift, when ever I have the money to build another bay on my garage, I will definitely be putting a lift in. Too many times I have done the exhaust on my mustang while the car is on jackstands and boards....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well,
I got onto the greenleaf website and found a lot of tranys. But I can get a new tranny for these prices! some of these were up in the 1500's ... lowest one i found was 1100 bucks!

how are you guys getting these awsome prices like 600 and stuff?!?!

MG

MadGoat's Birds
RIP
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

no one has any input here?!!

need tranny guys... I found a really cool proformance one on ebay that was "beefed" up on the rebuild for 875.... looks like a good deal with free shipping.

thoughts?

thanks

MG

MadGoat's Birds
RIP
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 08:59 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

If you want a good deal from greenleaf give one of the sites a call. I have gotten the best prices from Greenleaf new england in Lemonstall Mass

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in