J Mod parts check list... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

J Mod parts check list...

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing the J mod in the near future, I was just wondering if someone could add to my list of parts I'm going to need, like gaskets, etc... So far here's what I know of:

-Upper springs
-New actuators
-Mercon V tranny fluid

Everything else is beyond me.

Also, does anyone have pictures of what the tranny looks like when the bottom plates removed, just so I'm not totally lost under there. I'm a little nervous touching my tranny for the first time...

Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

New 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators - yours should be the newer style, but if I was going in I'd replace them anyway. they're dirt cheap and these cars are getting older.
top 1-2 spring and possibly lower 1-2 spring. The lower spring is optional and will make it shift smoother.
both separator plate gaskets
drill bits (find a industrial supply type store, or order online)
new filter

You really dont have to do the servos, there's too big a chance of messing them up, especially if you're not familiar with a tranny. Check the first 3 tranny articles.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM

The easiest way to get all the needed parts, minus drill bits is just to call Dan Newman and tell him you need JMod parts for a '97. He has the list right there. Parts should cost around $28-$30. I didn't put a lower 1-2 spring in, but if you have a family, they may be less annoyed with the lower spring in. My wife is actually used to it now. The first time anyone rides in my car, at the 1-2 shift, they kind of get a funny look on their face. I got the drillbits at Atwoods, they had them all right there on the shelf, they also have a website. A-Train's instructions are really good, but you'll still be nervous until you get the valvebody off and the first accumulator out, and then everything will make sense. It's actually really easy, don't let the article scare you, I guess there's something about getting bathed in transmission fluid that enlightens you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the gaskets and filters are what I needed to know. I just picked up an LPD Tru Cool 28,000 GVW tranny cooler, Was that a good choice? I'm not going to go with the lower springs, I'm 19 and no family so I want the shifts to snap me back My girlfriend will have to get used to it, lol. I'm going to give Dan a call too, thanks again guys.

Last edited by Big_Irish; 06-14-2004 at 12:45 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Big_Irish
Thanks guys, the gaskets and filters are what I needed to know. I just picked up an LPD Tru Cool 28,000 GVW tranny cooler, Was that a good choice?
If it's a stacked plate style cooler and not a fin and tube type, you're all set. Don't know what they sell to you Canad'juns.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gee3666
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich95XR7
I got the drillbits at Atwoods, they had them all right there on the shelf, they also have a website. A-Train's instructions are really good, but you'll still be nervous until you get the valvebody off and the first accumulator out, and then everything will make sense.

Does ne1 have that website address. I tried a search but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

George

The hummingbird hums..... the Thunderbird ROARS!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:43 PM

I'm actually considering doing that this weekend myself, time permitting. I'm going to be draining the tranny anyways, so it seems a perfect time to get up in there. Thing is, I've never touched a tranny before either, so I'm rather nervous. Should all these parts be available at my local O'Reilly or Advance Auto (maybe Home Depot or Lowe's for the drill bits).

I won't be able to order from Dan Newman, unfortunately. Also, what articles should I look at in the tech articles section besides the jerry's mod one. Speaking of, it says to see step #9 in the shifty business report. Which one is that. The title of the jerry's mod article is shifty business, but step #9 makes no sense in relation to that.

What do you guys recommend for raising the car up? I was considering those metal ramps you can drive the front end up on, though I'm not sure of anybody that has some I could borrow and I'd hate to have to pay out the $$$ to buy a set (how much are they anyways?).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you'll want to check out the top 3 tranny articles... it all originates with ch 13-4 of jerry's article, and A-train's show you how to do it. Youll need to get the bits from an industrial supply store of some kind. And I do all of my work with the car on jackstands (yes even pulling the engine and tranny).

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:57 PM

could someone point me in the direction of the transmission tech info that everyone here keeps talking about? shouldn't they be stickied somewhere or in a faq section or something?

thanks
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:08 PM

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/

looks under transmission. A-Train's articles are easy to understand, and I believe it's chapter 13 or so in Jerry W's article, just look for modifying main control.

And you won't be able to get the parts at Autozone or anywhere else, last time I checked, they were dealer only items. My local dealership wanted $83 for the hard parts, where Dan only charged me $28, so it was worth the wait.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:46 PM

duh, thanks......I knew there had to be something like that listed around here
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/

looks under transmission. A-Train's articles are easy to understand, and I believe it's chapter 13 or so in Jerry W's article, just look for modifying main control.

And you won't be able to get the parts at Autozone or anywhere else, last time I checked, they were dealer only items. My local dealership wanted $83 for the hard parts, where Dan only charged me $28, so it was worth the wait.
That's not good. I could order the parts from Dan tomorrow, but I LEAVE on the 2nd of July and I don't know if I'll get another chance to work on it next weekend since I've got a wedding to attend (my best friend's getting hitched and needs me to shoot his wedding) and the guy that would be helping me can't do it on Sunday due to church and stuff.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 PM

The longest it has ever taken me to get my parts from Dan is 2 days. I'm pretty close, but I can't see it taking over 3 to anywhere. He'll overnight them to you for actual shipping costs, no handling fees, etc.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Well, if I order them, I'd be resigned to not getting them until next week. My concern at that point would be that I'm less than 2 weeks from going on vacation. Don't suppose anyone remotely close to Nashville with experience would be interested in lending a helping hand?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
The easiest way to get all the needed parts, minus drill bits is just to call Dan Newman and tell him you need JMod parts for a '97. He has the list right there.
I did that and he blew me off saying come back with a list of parts and he'd give me a price.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:23 PM

Are you sure you talked to Dan????? That's not in Dan's character at all.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

I emailed him.

-- Email --

Hi Al,

Thanks for your inquiry. Because there are quite a few options and everyone
seems to do the J-Mod a little differently, I usually recommend that the
guys check out the TCCoA technical articles on the J-Mod and make a list.
You can e-mail me the parts you need and I will get you prices.

Talk to you soon,

Dan Newman
Ford Parts HQ
(800) 480-9981
[email protected]

---------

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

That's fine I don't mind if the guy is having a bad day and couldn't be bothered but for people just starting out, how do we know if we have a complete parts list? I went through those articles several times and made a list but how in the heck do I know if I have everything I need...

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:52 PM

For the basic JMod that you can't screw up:

tranny fluid
tranny filter
seperator plate gaskets
1-2 accumulator
1-2 blue upper spring
1-2 lower spring (optional)
2-3 accumulator
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

What about the deep pan, OD Servo and pilot sleeves... need those?

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM

Deep pan is optional, but recommended, most people don't mess with OD because if the band slips off, it can be a real PITA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in