Get a LOAD of this! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Get a LOAD of this!

Tranny is a 93 AOD.
It is rebuilt with a Lentech Overhaul ST Kit, Street Terminator O/D delete valavebody, 1 peice ART CARR input shaft and 2500 non-locking convertor.

The tranny had no miles on it during the installation of it in the car. The tranny did however sit 5 or so months with no fluid in it before the install.

SO onto the problems.
It didn't want to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold.
Once warmed up it would shift well from 1st to 2nd, but would only periodically downshift to 1st.
3rd and OD.....forget about it. I never saw that.

SO, Lentech, Art Carr, and others in this club thought it could either be the VB(which is new, supposedly tested at LT), the governor, or just a bunch of contamination in the tranny. Maybe all of the above for all I know.

I brought the car to the tranny shop that rebuilt the tranny. Needless to say the owner was pretty suprised I was having problems. He has taken it out for a drive and concurs that there are issues. They disassembled the tranny and found a stuck gov. He also flushed all the lines and reassembled everything.
He claims to have taken it for a few test drives and when it's cold, it doesn't appear that it wants to shift properly. Once you get it to shift a couple of times, it seems to go good after that.
What he told me is, that perhaps I just need to drive the car, force it to shift in hopes that any stuck valves will eventually free themselves.(In other words, beat on it)
Granted, the tranny sat for a few months before I actually installed it, I know it didn't have any lube in it,(thinking that things could stick after sitting in a damp, cool basement) but does this diagnosis sound right all?
Even a little?
Has anyone run into a similar problem that cleared itself up with a little time?

I guess I'll be getting it back today or tomorrow, so I'll be able to see for myself.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

An update:

He drove the car, everything seemed good, then it started failing again. It appears I am stuck with it as he, in so many words, said he hated working on these(T-birds) and couldn't figure out why it is doing what it is doing.

Well this is great. I am going to pick it up tomorrow.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:32 PM

Mine is doing the exact same thing except I still get 3rd and OD. But in my case the trans has over 208K miles on it. Has had the OD band replaced twice and I'm using a Baumann kit and valve body. I know it's just worn out and there's particals in the bottom of the pan so valves are worn and hanging up. Once it's warmed up it isn't so bad. I've got a brand new 5.0 Exploder 4R70W that I'm going to put in and drop that junk AOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey Lonnie,
This guy has said he dropped the pan and didn't really see anything in the bottom of the pan.

I reeally am clueless what to do at this point. I guess I am going to have to find another shop to look at it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM

If they did the work then they should stand behind it and make it right. If they didn't want to do it or had a problem with using a manufactures parts they should have said something in the beginning. But as you said they agreed to do the work, then they are on the hook. They should be on the phone to LT talking to their tech and working out the problem and not passing the buck. It doesn't matter if the trans is in a Tbird, Mustand or what ever it's the same damn trans. The vehicle it's in doesn't change a thing. I would force them to make it right.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I hear you Lonnie, that's sort of the way I feel. The situation is pretty much him....pointing fingers at LT, knowing full well LT will point the finger back at him saying he didn't install something properly. SO I am stuck in the middle. I really don't feel like I have it in me right now to start a pissing match with the guy. I'll get it back and see where I stand.

Thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I know J posted once before about working contaminates out of the parts in the tranny. He said to get the car going about 5-10 mph and throw it into park. Sound familiar Lonnie? Skip, I'm not making it up!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 PM
PostWhore

Who sourced the parts?? The tranny shop or you??

Also was the VB sent back to LT for testing???

Also have you tried a Used stock VB??

And what's wrong with the AOD??
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:26 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to jturmel
I think he's talking about a DOA, not an AOD.

-J

1991 Sport 5.0
4R70W Converted, U4P0/SCT Controlled
[email protected], 1.948 60' - 3450 lbs
RIP 1991-2006
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Who sourced the parts?? The tranny shop or you??
I did!

Quote:
Also was the VB sent back to LT for testing???
NO, I haven't gotten that far yet. I guess that's my next alternative when I get the car back. I did call LT, and they said every VB is tested before it leaves. If there was a problem, they said they would have caught it before it left the factory. YEAH RIGHT! I am sure it may have worked while they tested it, but who knows.......it very well could be my fault,,,,,but IMO, the possibility is there for it to be theirs as well. I'm not pointing any fingers though. I know there are a few variables to be considered.

Quote:
Also have you tried a Used stock VB??
NO, I no longer have the OEM VB.

Quote:
And what's wrong with the AOD??
Nothing.....when it works!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 01:11 AM
PostWhore

Well there's also shippign, unless you went to LT and picked it up yourself...

Alt of shippers have no problem kicking around the boxes and stuff as oppose to picking them up to move them .. never mind dropping packages and so forth..
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got it back today.
It appears much better. Tomorrow I will have to take it on a real test drive to see how it does, as I didn't have the time today.

On a good note, the guy never charged me! So that's good! He had given me the impression earlier in the week I should expect some sort of bill, but this afternoon he told me he didn't feel right charging me.

I'll keep you guys up to date as to how I make out.

Thanks again guys for your input.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to dugweed Send a message via Yahoo to dugweed
as for sitting for 5 months being the cause of the problem, if it was built correctly, clutches soaked in atf, and generous amounts of fluid and assembly lube, there should be no problem with it sitting in a damp basement, ever heard of a stocked unit? that is a trans that was built when business was slow and put on a shelf. tranny shops are a very humid environment, what with the parts washers and such. I know first hand.
and lentech ships their v/b's wet.
I have heard of shipping damage to one of their v/b's tho so never rule that out.

Len is a good guy and I have faith that he will help you in any way he can, just sucks about the international shipping though

good luck,
Mike

2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide
1996 F350 CCLB 7.3 5 speed 4x4
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, what you say makes sense.
I am sorry I never updated this thread sooner, but as of tonight, the tranny appears to be shifting quite nifty!

I am happy all seems well.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in