tranny rebuild - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Formerly known as lfteyechicken

Send a message via AIM to NtenseTbird
tranny rebuild

ok, I have a 97 bird, and the problem resides in the fact that the car doesn't want to shift into second gear, I have to kindof feather the throttle to get it to shift, and then when I slow down or coast to a stop, the car bogs down, and right before I come to a stop the car hits back to normal (when I say hit, the car jerks mildy, not violently back to normal.) I have been told that the clutch plates are welding together and I need a rebuild. I have a mechanic friend that is going to oversee me rebuilding the tranny (Hands on learning) But I need to know what to replace. I was thinking it was the electronic shift mechanism thing, but I was told the clutch plates, any Ideas??? and what parts do I need to get to fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

While it's possible the 1-2 accumulator has gone bad, 97s should have had the better one from the factory. So that makes the most likely culprit the roller one-way intermediate clutch. Delayed 1-2 shifts, or shifts into 2nd gear with a jerk or a bang are common. And by the way, clutch plates don't weld together. Run far far away from whoever said that and don't look back. They don't know a clutch plate (or any other various items) from a hole in the ground.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Formerly known as lfteyechicken

Send a message via AIM to NtenseTbird
ok, so this roller one way clutch thing, is that all I need to replace, what will be involved with replacing that, full rebuild, or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
if you aren't going to rebuild it to Jerry's specs then just junk that tranny and put a new model 4r70w in there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

agreed.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in