AOD 1->2 doesn't like right turns? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

AOD 1->2 doesn't like right turns?

All,

I've noticed a weird-ish sort of problem with my T-bird.

Now, keep in mind that I did run an hour after the TV-cable bushing broke, although a fluid/filter change and new bushing later, it seems not to have suffered any ill effects.

However, I only got to drive it pre-bushing-breakage for a day, so I didn't have a lot to go on.

Anyway, it seems that my 1-2 upshift tends to be a little weird, but the problems I get almost always happen immediately after making a right turn from a stop or near-stop.

Particularly when cold, the trans will sometimes seem to forget it has a 2nd gear, and go right from 1 to 3. This is without really pushing it much at all. Once when I suspected it of doing this, when it seemed to be holding 1st too long, I let off on the gas, to kinda trick it into 2nd. When I gently pushed the gas again, the car revved slightly in neutral, then dropped to 2nd, then almost immediately to third.

Other times, it'll seem lazy about upshifting 1-2. This I've noticed after a right turn if I go into the gas a little. Not hard, mind you, but say maybe 1/4 throttle. At those times, it seems to take a while to finish shifting, and sometimes I can feel that it's doing something akin to "riding the clutch" on a manual trans for about 2 seconds or so. It actually becomes hard to tell when it fully engages 2nd at that point.

I've only noticed this at two particular intersections, but it's happened several times. Sometimes, though, the problematic symptoms simply don't happen at all.

All other upshifts, and all downshifts, seem normal. I *might* have the TV cable set one or two clicks too tight (guessing by the 3-4 upshift time at a feather-light throttle), but otherwise everything appears to be just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I do recall also once reading something that made a passing mention of the AOD "forgetting that it has a 2nd gear" . . but nothing was really explained about it. I'm just looking for more information really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Check your fluid level. My AOD will slip out of gear when it's cold out and I sit on a hill at a light. I'll bet that when you make the right turn, it's sloshing the fluid away from the pickup and gets some air, and slips. Just my .02.

Remember, check the fluid while fully hot on a level surface.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
could be sticky valves as well. definately check the fluid, and if all else fails, replace the unit. AOD's are a dime a dozen. u can get good used ones for about $100.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lightbulb

A very belated thanks, by the way.

I added a quart of fluid, it seems to have minimized the symptoms greatly.

It never "forgets" to use 2nd gear anymore.

On occasion, with semi-hard throttle, on one of those right turns, from a stop, it'll be a little bit lazy about the 1-2 upshift. Lighter throttle and the shift is pretty quick. Haven't tried wide-open yet.

Checking the fluid level is a pain though because of the incorrect dipstick markings. I've gone a bit past the D on "Do Not...." but I wonder if I'm still a little low?

Would I notice any strange symptoms if I went a little too high on the tranny fluid level?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Overfilling will cause it to burp out the excess through a vent in the case if I recall. I've always been told that overfilling is as bad as underfilling, but don't really know why.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77
I've always been told that overfilling is as bad as underfilling, but don't really know why.
If you overfill it, the fluid level will be high enough that the rotating assembly will start churning it into froth. This is why it comes out the case vent on top, it gets slung up there by the moving parts. Aerated fluid (fluid with air bubbles in it) is NOT something you want in any hydraulic assembly, because air defeats the principles of hydraulic action: fluid under pressure does not compress. Air under pressure does compress. If you tried to compress fluid with air in it, it would become partially compressible, think of an air pocket in your valve body...or brake line, or power steering, or pretty much anything where fluid power is used to transmit force. Part of the available energy is wasted compressing the air.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:40 AM
PostWhore

One thing you can do with the AOD to help is to install a pan and filter from a mid 80s f150 with an AOD. They had a deep pan and matching pickup.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Bird
One thing you can do with the AOD to help is to install a pan and filter from a mid 80s f150 with an AOD. They had a deep pan and matching pickup.

Also the dealer released a tcb saying to fill those transmissions to the D in Don't

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in