transmission questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

transmission questions

where are we supposed to post transmission questions. Theres a engine forum but no transmissin forum. I was wondering if putting a shift kit on a automatic tranny with 119,000 miles on the ticker is not a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I did what's called the "J-mod" on my car, when it had over 225,000 miles on it. I've not encountered any problems, and it's been 50,000 miles since that modification.

Lots of transmission questions/answers can be located in the Drivetrain forum. Additional transmission info can be found in the Technical Articles - Transmissions section (see the TCCoA home page, or click here).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:00 PM
4th Gear Poster

I did the J-mod with about 130,000 miles on the odometer. The car now has 139,000 miles. If you are going to do this, most people are also going to recomend a transmission fluid cooler be installed at the same time. B&M makes some good ones from what I understand. The link IronChops gave you takes you to the tranny section of the tech articles. Read the Ford OD Transmissions 101, A-Train's Shift Kit Install, Modifing Valve Body to Jerry's Specifications, and the Tranny Cooler Install articles for more information why the J-Mod is better than the other shift kits out there, how to install it, and how/where to install a tranny cooler. Also, do a search in the forums on things like jmod, baumann, transgo, etc and you will find a lot of discussions on all the major shift kits out there and make your mind up from that information too. Be forewarned though, some of them can be pretty heated discussions.

BTW, the drivetrain section of the forum deals with transmissions.

Kevin
Mid-Atlantic Drag Racing Team. 15.589 @ 88.64 mph
MAMN12.COM

Get all your Ford parts from Dan Newman

Green 95 4.6L Thunderbird LX
*J-Modded 00 Mustang GT Transmission and torque converter*
*Mark VIII Flexplate*
*K&N*
*Eibach Springs*
*Hayden Transmission cooler*
*3.27 Trac-loc*
*Removed air silencer*
*Swapped Climate Control and Radio Locations*
*MARCH underdrive pulleys--soon to come*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:49 AM

I know it's somewhat old, but didn't want this guy to start ripping at his tranny to do the Jmod when he has an AOD.

97' 4.6 LX - [email protected] 1880ft Air Density Altitude, 86*
95' 4.6 40th Anniversary Edition
01' 4.6 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron_T
I know it's somewhat old, but didn't want this guy to start ripping at his tranny to do the Jmod when he has an AOD.

At least somebody noticed.

Tbird-sport, welcome to the TCCOA. I would check your fluid and see what it looks like before making any changes to your transmission. If the fluid looks bad just put new fluid in it and drive it. If the fluid looks good install the shift kit you are wanting to install. I personally like the transgo kit for the aod's. I don't think any of them are bad kits for this transmission however. If you're going to install the kit also get a Ford Overdrive A servo. These were originally only used in supercoupes, but you can buy one from Dan Newman. Stay away from the aftermarket better A servo's. The stock stuff is the best I have found.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
moving to drive train forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in