New trans. blues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

New trans. blues

I am completly out of thoughts. My OD light is blinking and the check engine light comes on. I just swapped in an 02 Explorer engine w/ an 02 GT trans. Here is a list of things done: Checked fluid level, double checked the wiring w/ the Modular Depot layout, made sure the pins aren't backing out, swapped TCC's (and trimmed), unhooked the battery I don't know how many times, changed over the shift lever.

I've read that the sensor in front of the speedo cable should be switched over, I did this. This is the only thing that I can possibly think it might be. Could the sensors be different lengths?

My car is in my buddy's garage and I'm taking up the wife's parking stall. I'm needing some serious thoughts on what my problem could be. If I missed something in a search, I'll apologize now.

Thanks,

Caleb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
using tbird mlps?

Car have a custom tune on it?

Pull the code from the obd2.

JH
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you want that code for the blinking OD light you will have to go to a shop with a real scanner or to Ford. Autozone will not be able to pull a code for the tranny with their equipment.
Get the code and go from there. It's electrical and you will drive yourself crazy if you don't know what you are chasing. I have an idea what it is, but there is no way to tell without that code and I don't want to steer you wrong. I know it is a pain to keep pulling the pan. My idea would have you doing that again.
Man, I wish you lived nearby. I have everything to troubleshoot and fix the tranny regardless of what it is. I wish I could do more when this stuff comes up. Every time someone does a swap or rebuild themself and runs into trouble it seems they are too far away for me to be of any real help dammit...
Is it driveable at all? I know it sucks to do all that work and then have to have it towed to a shop and pay for diagnosis and/or repair. A lot of places won't touch it since it doesn't have what it is supposed to in it.
PM me and if you want it I will give you my phone number and try to do what I can.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Before I made the new thread I did take it to Autozone, and like you said it they can't pull tranny codes. Of course that's when the service engine light decided not to come on. But it was at least nice to find out that everything in the engine was fine.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:39 AM

how does it run and shift?

It sounds like you are driving it around.

JH
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Ahh man, I'll start it up and put it into reverse and the snappyness (sp?) is just so eupohric. I just want to back into the street and mash the pedal and tear down the street. But once I put it into drive, reality sets back it. Starts out in second. I only drove it acouple of blocks to Autozone, and it's get up to around 3K and let off the gas and it would act like it's dropping into neutral. Does that help any? I just thought that this might be part of the safety feature for limp mode.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 AM

are you using the tbird mlps?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Yup, now for the adjustment of it I aligned the neutral lines, put the car in neutral, and rotated until the reverse lights went off. Right? I think that's the way we did it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I was assuming that since he said he swapped over the shifter that he meant the MLPS, but I may be mistaken there. That is a very good point Justin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You adjust it by having those lines exactly lined up. There is a tool that locks it into place for install and all it does is make sure the notches are lined up. This will align those lines automatically. There is no fine adjustment. It either works or not.
What you do is put the tranny in neutral and align the marks. Tighten it down and make sure you didn't move it in the process.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:16 AM

post this question over on MD, one of the 4r experts will see it and help you out.

JH
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

We do know something about these over here you know...

I edited this again since I realized that "The One" posts over on MD.

Last edited by Darrin; 12-10-2004 at 12:12 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm.... Could be a good possiblity. I be working on it tomorrow putting the new Borla exhaust system on, so I'll see what's up then. Crap, guess I really am a newbie if this the problem, which I hope it is. Thanks for the additional thoughts so far. I'm just worried that this isn't the problem.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I do think Justin hit it. Particurlarly since you mentioned how you adjusted that MLPS. Don't worry about a simple mistake. It happens.
I just hope that is the problem since it will be so easy to correct.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
Yeah, I agree on the MLPS mis-aligned, the EEC is commanding a 2nd gear since it thinks the shifter is in Manual 2nd.

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, the MLPS was aligned correctly. Went and had the codes read. Long story short, I was looking at the wiring installation the wrong way. I used the correct wiring diagram, should have used the "wrong" one. Oh well, I can tell you know that it isn't alot of things, but I'm still an idiot. Thanks for all your thoughts, sorry for the waste of time.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 06:35 PM

did the idiot get the car running properly?

Just kiddin. Glad you got it to work.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Lol, sorta, backed it out and took it for a spin around the block. Asked the neighbor if he wanted to go for a ride with us and he said we were to crazy. Pulled out from the stop light and punched it, and broke the throttle cable bracket. So I'm on the brakes trying to pull the gas of the floor with my foot and it's not working to well. Tossed it in nuetral and shut it off. Got back to house and he was still there, told him the story and he said "See, I told you that your too crazy."

Anyway, got the bad boy up and running, time to celebrate. Thanks for all the help. I know that I wouldn't have been able to do it without this site. Actually, I don't think I would have even thought about attempting it.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Found out this morning that Autozone can scan for transmission codes. The check engine light came on and I had them scan it. The SS1 was throwing a code. Not having any shifting problems, I think. Feels like it's still starting out in second gear, but I thought that this was just because of the new transmission gear ratios.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You have the wiring wrong. Autozone can scan for some transmission codes. Not all will show on a simple code reader.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in