Tranny EXPLODED - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TbirdSims
Tranny EXPLODED

Yeah well after i get the 3rd tranny in the car im going to be looking elsewere..i cant deal with this car anymore, its costing me too much to keep it alive, the tranny was rebuilt a year ago, and it blew apart today, and the best part is the warentee was up last month, how convient for them,

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
Performance Automatic Valve Body

^ Just what is that ?

What year tranny is it?
Did it have upgraded components?

What exactly was the "Performance Automatic Valve Body" ??

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
performance automatic is an overpriced modified valvebody.

They are a company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

get a reman in a box , dont have someone hand build one agian. better warranty

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

BS
If you have the right person rebuild it you will get a MUCH better tranny than anything you will get from a Ford reman. But, most people don't want to do that for some reason. They want to go to a local tranny shop and get mediocre quality and workmanship and pay too much. Or, they want to get a Ford reman and get the same mediocre quality and still pay more than they should.
I can build a tranny with all the updates and enhancements short of the 5.4 hard parts and modify the valve body for less than that Ford reman and mine will hold up. There are several people around who can do the same. Machining clutch pistons to add plates will break that price point and adding the 5.4 parts would be more still. Most people here would never in a million years need either of those things done to a tranny.
That Ford reman will have a mechanical diode, but if you get in there to do anything to keep the snap ring in place or modify the valve body, forget your warranty. With a tranny from someone who knows what they are doing, you will not have to do any of that. It will be built for you and your needs. You will get the tranny you want shipped to you and all you have to do is bolt it in. In my case, if you live within reasonable range, installation is available and strongly advised.
Always, always, always use a good tranny cooler whatever you do.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i understand that, but for 3 trannys hes better off,

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear Poster

the troublesome snap ring is directly behind the front pump. it is not difficult to change out if you've got the proper puller.

Visit my website:

http://www.p71interceptor.com
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree that it is exactly as you say, but you just go ahead and weld that and see what happens with your warranty.
Anything short of welding it isn't any better than just leaving it as is in my opinion.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 05:15 PM
PostWhore

Could always put a stick in it...

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well heres the problem, i cant wait to get the tranny in, its my everyday car and i got finals comming up, and no other way to school, also the tranny shop that i went to is suppose to be one of the best, and i guess either the first one i got rebuilt was done horrible or my heavy foot destroyed it, i doubt that though cause the original tranny had it *** kicked from pillar to post for 112k miles then it died out, and with the valvebody in and the tranny cooler you would think the tranny would last more than a year

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I wouldn't have used that valve body, but that is just me. If it was built properly, no heavy foot would have killed it in anything short of a radical bird. Unless you were doing flat stupid stuff like 5 grand neutral drops and/or slamming it into reverse on the freeway. Or maybe the tranny had a defective part. It does happen.
Sorry to hear about the problems and I hope you get it straightened out and have much better luck this time.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well i had a transbroke kit in when it got rebuilt in the first place a year ago, and it kept slipping 1-2 for almost a year and each time i took it back they said it was fixed, i got the PA valvebody and i coulndt be happier, it was finally working the way it should, and that was like a month ago, maybe 2 months, and today i went to merge and it had trouble getting into 2nd, then it coulndt hold 3rd then finally went in and it would hardly move, then as i slowed down it would shutter like crazy and almost stall, i had to manually shift to 2nd and keep it in 2nd to the shop, did like 20 the whole way there from my house which is like a min away, i think that the tranny had a problem from the begining,

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I just think it isn't coincidental that everyone that I have heard of using anything other than a j-mod on a 4r70w daily driver has had a tranny die a very untimely death.
Just food for thought

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well from what i have read on here the vb is the same as the jmod just paying for the whole thing insted of doing it yourself, i just find it very convient that the warentee ended last month on the tranny and it died today

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 11:17 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
Quote:
Originally posted by 2vmodular
the troublesome snap ring is directly behind the front pump. it is not difficult to change out if you've got the proper puller.

In this picture...what is the "snap ring" you folks talk about welding? and why is that a good idea?

I have a 98 Mustang GT tranny now, and it has been JMOD'd, along with other goodies inside...but I am pretty sure the snap ring thingy is untouched.

Like our good freind Tbirdsims, I rely on my car as a daily driver as well. I am thrilled beyond words with my new tranny, but if there is something slese I shoudl do to make it as duable as possible, without re-tearing it down, I'd love to know what/how.

Enlightne me, if you will.

p.s. In this pic(above), it appears there is a crack in the bottom of the internals...not the bellhousing, but the shaft/gear assemblies. Am I seeing things, or is this the result of a non-welded snap-ring thingy?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I don't see a crack I think you are seeing things
The snap ring gets welded because it is prone to spreading out and allowing the one-way to come apart, or in the case of the m/d off. The snap ring is thin and not very strong. Welding it prevents it from spreading out so it cannot come off.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

FYI- The green outlined part is the snap ring

And Alan can do the welding for you on this. Mine looks great. Now I just have to get it all back together and into my bird, lol... After the body work

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

just got back from the shop, the guy said "what the hell did you do to my transmission" he said the 2-3 sprag was completly destroyed, and there were peices in the vb, i told him that the 2-3 shift wasnt hard or anything and dont know why it would do that, but he said hes gonna fix it cause of my main mechanic and then im on my own, even though the warentee ended last month, might be getting it back today.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Converter Guy

Maybe if he had built it properly the first time that wouldn't have happened. Do yourself a favor go down to ford pick up a reverse drum, mechanical diode and a snap ring from a late model unit and have him use it. Otherwise you'll end up with a 7 element piece of crap.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

if i had the money and the time i would, its gonna be finished today, im acutally supprised he is doing it for free and im not gonna push my luck with it

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That wasn't your fault you know. He should do it for free and then apologize for the trouble that you have gone through at the very least.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yeah well i feel like when i get it he may rig the car with explosives, ive been back so many times its not even funny, but even still, i think im going to keep the bird, save up for a nice truck, and then take it off the road and over time turn it into a monster of a car. that is when i get a good paying job or hit the mega millions!

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Veteran Poster

If you put the roller OWC back in.....get the updated snaprings....if not, you and Mr. Tranny will have another talk soon.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Converter Guy

It won't matter if it is a 7 element it will fail anyway. The 14 element is strong but it has rpm limits. I currently have a 14 element in my car with the snap ring welded in place. I'm not worried about it because I never cross 5500.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Well, got the car back on wed, sorry i havent been on to re-post but when you dont have a car x-mas shoppin is that much more difficult, well the guy repaired it for free, and i have to say, its feels very strong, 2-3 is a bit harder and feels more solid then when it was originally rebuilt, so this can only lead me to conclude that the tranny was not rebuilt properly in the first place. and i must add that i LOVE the new set up here! looks all XPish

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

Hmm, so does the M/D have RPM limits also, or is it okay to run it to 6500 engine RPM? Not that I rev that high now, but if I ever build the motor back up, or get one that's capable of doing so, it'd be nice to know that my M/D is gonna hold together. Also, I did not do the snap-ring change/welding mod, so what causes the OEM ring to spread out and come off? Just normal driving, high RPMs, or what?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in