Odd transmission noise - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Odd transmission noise

Hi guys, I had a quick little question. I just took the 'bird for a spin, and noticed something funky. Whenever the tranny shifts into overdrive under WOT (or at least stomping on the gas some), the shift itself feels a bit sluggish and there's this "whoomp" sound coming from the tranny.

I can't exactly describe it any better than that, but it sounds .. well.. like .. whoomp.

It doesn't do it when you're just cruising and it happens to shift into OD.

Ever since I've had it it's done this, but in the past few days it's gotten louder and louder. I checked the ATF level and it comes up alright - what else could it be? Time to do a tranny flush/filter change?

More info: '89 tbird with a 3.8L n/a, stock (AOD) tranny, stock TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:28 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride

How many miles on the old gal???

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 03:43 AM
Ohio TCCoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostfield
Hi guys, I had a quick little question. I just took the 'bird for a spin, and noticed something funky. Whenever the tranny shifts into overdrive under WOT (or at least stomping on the gas some), the shift itself feels a bit sluggish and there's this "whoomp" sound coming from the tranny.

I can't exactly describe it any better than that, but it sounds .. well.. like .. whoomp.

It doesn't do it when you're just cruising and it happens to shift into OD.

Ever since I've had it it's done this, but in the past few days it's gotten louder and louder. I checked the ATF level and it comes up alright - what else could it be? Time to do a tranny flush/filter change?

More info: '89 tbird with a 3.8L n/a, stock (AOD) tranny, stock TC
I was told by a sct tuner that you shouldnt shift into O/D at wot with the 4R7OW. I dont know for sure if that holds true for the aod though. It may just be a electronic O/D thing. When was the last time the fulid and filter were changed, and like Steve said, how many miles.

Later,
jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Let's see, *does some conversion* 272000 km, about 170.000 miles on it so far, still the original tranny as far as I can tell.

The fluid was changed by the previous owner at 155.000 miles, he showed me the receipt for the work done, but whether the filter has been changed, no idea. At the
moment I'm utterly strapped for cash, but the plan was to get a tranny flush, new fluid, and a new filter as soon as I can. Or do it myself

The strange thing is though, there's no TC shudder, all shifts are firm with no hesitation, the only thing "wrong" is that shift to OD where it does the "whoomp" thing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Ok you will not get torque converter shudder out of an AOD. They do not have lockup they have direct drive. Direct drive means that 3rd and 4th gears basically bypass the converter. This causes harsh operation which you are feeling. They aren't so harsh when they are new ,but when they start to get worn they can be very abusive. Don't worry about it.When it breaks build the trans with 4r70w gears and a converter without the direct drive.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
Ok you will not get torque converter shudder out of an AOD. They do not have lockup they have direct drive. Direct drive means that 3rd and 4th gears basically bypass the converter. This causes harsh operation which you are feeling. They aren't so harsh when they are new ,but when they start to get worn they can be very abusive. Don't worry about it.When it breaks build the trans with 4r70w gears and a converter without the direct drive.
Alan
When that time comes, I'll be on here asking for help haha There's only 1 company in this country that can rebuild trannies, and they charge $bigbucks - and I'm not skilled enough yet to do it myself

Anyhow, if it's nothing to worry about, I'll keep driving around.

Thank you all for your answers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:57 AM

Hi Ghostfield,

I have had also a 3.8 tbird like you have now. It is normal when the overdrive hits in, it makes a little sound and you feel a little "shake" (klinkt als een kleine bescheiden "kloenk"). this is due to the overdrive lock-up system this transmission is equipped with. From your story it sounds the transmission does make good vaccuum, which is importent.

Congrats with your bird, I am in a suspend-mode of buying a 96-97 V8. Due to the fact I am moving from my rental house to buy a house with mortgage (which I am looking for now) I await how much money I have left to buy a bird, because it aint cheap here in tiny Holland...

Altough 15 years old, the chassis, suspension, wheels, engine will guarantee smooth driving! I remember going on vacation to South Germany with my 92' bird back in 1998, and my buddy was driving his Audi A6 with his family. Good car the A6, but we switched for fun in Luxembourg seats, I in the A6, and he in the bird. I thought after 1,5 hours my back was broken because of the hard suspension and wooden seats in the A6! Glad when I was back in my electrical powered real comfy chair in the bird!!

Best regards,

Rogier

Last edited by Rogier; 12-31-2004 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier
Hi Ghostfield,

I have had also a 3.8 tbird like you have now. It is normal when the overdrive hits in, it makes a little sound and you feel a little "shake" (klinkt als een kleine bescheiden "kloenk"). this is due to the overdrive lock-up system this transmission is equipped with. From your story it sounds the transmission does make good vaccuum, which is importent.
(Sorry guys for the Dutch language here but I can't get it right in English)

Het is niet echt een bescheiden kloenk, 't klinkt af en toe aardig hard, hard genoeg dat iemand die naast me reed me er op aansprak.

Back to English

Quote:
Congrats with your bird, I am in a suspend-mode of buying a 96-97 V8. Due to the fact I am moving from my rental house to buy a house with mortgage (which I am looking for now) I await how much money I have left to buy a bird, because it aint cheap here in tiny Holland...
Thanks! I'm glad to have it, even though it's more expensive than a girlfriend The gas is doable but we get so ripped on the wegenbelasting it's not funny

Quote:
Altough 15 years old, the chassis, suspension, wheels, engine will guarantee smooth driving! I remember going on vacation to South Germany with my 92' bird back in 1998, and my buddy was driving his Audi A6 with his family. Good car the A6, but we switched for fun in Luxembourg seats, I in the A6, and he in the bird. I thought after 1,5 hours my back was broken because of the hard suspension and wooden seats in the A6! Glad when I was back in my electrical powered real comfy chair in the bird!!
A girlfriend of mine usually comes with me when we go visit another friend, and she's said (and I quote) "Can you take me to the junkyard? I want to get one of these seats and put it in my living room!" - she says the seats are the most comfortable ones she's ever had the pleasure of sitting in. It is indeed a very comfortable car, and well, even though it's only a 3.8, it's basically top dog over here because most cars just can't match accelleration from 0-55mph against a 'bird. (When we're talking top speed, sure, I'm slow :P)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in