transmission masacre - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
transmission masacre

ok yeah yanked the tranny out of the good ol blue bird today, and heres the list of casualties

when i was drainning the fluid, looked almost like motor oil, yikes, thats 15k old Merc 5 where talking about here...

droped the pan, the fluid in there had an insane amount of friction materail from the clutches

took everything out of the case, here goes the good stuff

blew out all four clutch packs, there pretty much worn down to nothing, i cant think of the names of all four right now b/c i am tired

reverse band blown, o/d band blown, sprag blew to, a whole lot of masacre to friction material and other wear items, alot of the other stuff was still good, and almost no metal floating around in the fluid

so from here i have to see what parts the transmission guy at my work has, he says he has all the good upgrade 98+ stuff and i might be able to throw it in there and get myself a 98 spec rebuild, if not, parts for rebuilding it wont be to bad...

i also got a set of 3.73s for cheaper then anyone would imagaine, o the perks of working for a ford dealer, i also worked on my car all day, geting paid, score for a slow new years eve day

ok now, 2 questions

the tech i work under suggested i put back the 2-3 spring b/c he thinks this also caused to the demise of my transmission, any solidiaty in that?

anybody know any good rebuild kits that came with beefyer internal clutches and parts?, the transmission is in pieces so i can go anywhere from here

im also bolting up the Mustang TC with the Mark Flywheel when i redo it, and if i can afford it, a new DC the 3.73s in the t-lok pumpkin i have, should be a pleasent ride when its back on the road

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
If you did not have the updated 2-3 piston removing the spring would fry the transmission. A bad pump or epc solenoid could have caused all of that as well.
The ford dealers have 3.73 gears like they grow on tree's right now due to all of the explorer axle problems and ford not requiring cores for the replacement rearends.
The best clutches to get are listed in the tech article. I beleive you can get a high energy style kit from any transmission supply house as well,but I have not yet purchased one from them.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
bulkpart.com for alot of the stuff you may need. It would probably be cheaper to get a newer GT trans. Al_Florida got one for something like 375$. It might cost twice as much for just the rebuild parts.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
bulkpart.com for alot of the stuff you may need. It would probably be cheaper to get a newer GT trans. Al_Florida got one for something like 375$. It might cost twice as much for just the rebuild parts.

joseph
not to flame but everyone talks about these transmissions for under 400, i see them, once and a while, for one its hard to find trannies good low miles for cheap, i got mine like 500 shipped to my door, with a gt converter, its a 93 mark 8 w/ 5k on a rebuild, so i mean, its hard to find them cheap, and in junkyards arond here, forrrrgetabooutit. also i believe buying rebuild parts is cheaper then buying a whole new transmisson, they get you in labor more then anything, o and i had the updated 2-3 piston, so i dont think that grenaded itm, i think the drag runs did, and the fact the tranny was slipping, it would slip outa gear then slam back into 1st, with some sever tire burning like a month before it blew, it was kinda cool, but i knew it was sighns of 'change'

p.s. sorry if this makes no sense im like blaaaaaa, i may get my point across better tomorow ask if this makes no congnative sense at all

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I am with Alan. If all of the clutches were burnt up then there was a pressure problem. So you need to really look over that pump and replace your EPC just to be safe. It would suck to rebuild it only to leave the real problem in the transmission. Pay very close attention to the valve body, separator plate and gaskets too.
You are not making enough power to burn up that transmission like that unless there was a serious problem. No way, no how. Now you just have to find out what it was that did it in and fix it.
Clean out your lines and cooler really, really well.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
o no the reason all that happened was i had my buddies chip for about a month and a half, with no cooler, the line pressure on that thing was insane, then when i took it off the thing started acting a little funky but i just drove it untill it went boom, i thouhgt it might hold out longer then that, but hey what are you gonna do

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i took a quick read threw of the article seems to me most every part on the buillit proofing of a 4r70w comes from a 98+ trans, thats what the transmission guy was talking about, he told me where gonna throw alot of 98 stlye stuff in there b/c of the strength, im kinda happy he knew what he was talking about to, makes me feel ok listening to him on what parts to buy

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear Poster

you should consider purchasing an entire late model transmission assembly from a wrecked vehicle to source parts from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyICU
i took a quick read threw of the article seems to me most every part on the buillit proofing of a 4r70w comes from a 98+ trans, thats what the transmission guy was talking about, he told me where gonna throw alot of 98 stlye stuff in there b/c of the strength, im kinda happy he knew what he was talking about to, makes me feel ok listening to him on what parts to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
If you did not have the updated 2-3 piston removing the spring would fry the transmission. A bad pump or epc solenoid could have caused all of that as well.

Visit my website:

http://www.p71interceptor.com
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 07:53 PM

I just ordered a 2002 Mustang Tranny with tq. convertor and flexpalte from SCCOA member "man of many mustangs". He sold it to me for $400.00 shipped and also included cruise control buttons and horn buttons from a 95 Stang so I could do the FR500 steering wheel upgrade.
Here is his information:

ManofManyStangs

If you would like feel free to call me at 606-395-6870 or post pm me a number and I can call you.

I have a ton of references if needed.

Larry
2-1994 Model's
4-1995 Model's
1-1995 Limited Edition SS (stroked and supercharged)
1-1996 Model
1-1997 Model Vert
1-1997 Model
1 1998 Model

He ships through Overnight Freight and has a 64% discount so shipping is really low priced. BTW those mustangs are ones he is parting so these are the trannys I'm talking about.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
well i read threw the bullit proof 4r70w article a little bit but i think buying all those parts and puting them in may cost a bit to much money, so for now im going to replace the parts on my trasnmission that broke then go from there, but i mean would it cost more then 500 dollars just to get all those parts in the article? im guessing i may already have some of them at my disposal but im not entirly sure, anyone know? this is more a question for someone like dirtydog or darrin

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Most of the people here will never need a transmission with the full internal mods from Jerry's article. But yes, the parts would cost well more than $500 alone.
The 99 and up trannys are all most here will need, but I would still weld the MD snap ring in place and do the valve body mods.
Be careful with the late 03 and newer trannys. There may not be a speedo drive gear on the output shaft.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
yeah well it already has the j-mod so thats fine, weld the md snap ring? witch chapters that in?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
It's not in any chapter. Part 4 talks about the mechanical diode assembly ,but there is no mention of welding the snap ring. If you don't have a welder or don't know anyone to do it just install the spiral lock kit from bulkparts.com. I hate those goofy little things ,but they do work.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i have every tool imaginable at my disposal, every kind of tool

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

Sorry to hear about your trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyICU
not to flame but everyone talks about these transmissions for under 400, i see them, once and a while...
It was actually $400+tax and I picked it up since it wasn't that far from me. 99 GT. They would have shipped it free if it was going to a shop.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
in this area ive noticed a diffrent pricing, if its under 100k, its not under 1000, and if it has high miles whats the point, its funky to find the deals, but i got a really good deal on everything i needed for my trans so it doesnt matter, id bet dollars to donuts i would have had to pay more if i went with the new style trans, plus, i can always do that later, for now this is kind of a fill in trans, just to go for a while, i dont expect much from it, and dont need a whole lot from it either, but with the 3.73s going in and possibly a new driveshaft, and of coarse a chip, car should be very smooth quick and nice, ill be glad to have her back, after all that itll still need some more stuff here and there, little stuff, tires for the 18s, some brake work, finishing of the exhauct (i may do that now since its all down off the car anyway, but when this is all done the car will have improved and thats the bottom line, maybe it might actaully be quick, who knows

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 AM

What I should have added is that my $400.00 tranny was out of a 2002 Mustang with 7000 miles. It had fire damage in the trunk and rear seat area.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
the deals are around, i just haven ran across any since this trans blew, i have previously bought an 00 transmission from a stang with 15k miles on it for 350 to my door, but that was me hunting alot, and at the moment its cheaper to pay my buddy at the my dealership 250 bucks for everything i need in incroments, get what im saying? i dont make enough money to go all out, just yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in