TC failure - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

TC failure

i've tried search, haven't found an answer yet, but figured i'd post my probelm as i continue to look.

background:
'97 4.6, with recent tranny rebuild using motorcraft parts and new mech diode owc. about 2,000 miles since this was done. rebuild due to failed owc and burnt intermediate clutches. this is the second time the tranny has been rebuilt, the first was before my ownership--was rebuilt with aftermarket junk, old type owc, and has an aftermarket TC. this TC is still in the car. right now i'm running Mercon V, have a 24,000 cooler, and infilter. during the 2nd rebuild i also replaced the 1-2 accum&spring, 2-3accum&spring, and a new filter.

problem:
ocasionally no movement while cold from a rest. can slow rev the car to 2,500 with no trans responce, feels like it's in neutral. usually after reving once slowly, and then allowing the engine to return to idol, the the car will then take off fine. also ocasionally, when coming to a rest, the engine will bog for a few seconds and then resume it's normal idol.

i think it's the TC starting to go bye bye, am i right or did i manage to some how blow apart my owc again?

thanks for all your help

tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Converters dont cause occasional no movement. They either move or they don't. The common failures on these are converter clutch failure which will dump debris in the transmission, stator cap failure which will be noisy and dump debris in the transmission, or the fins coming out of the pump which will pack the transmission full of the nastiest crap you have ever seen and ruin the transmission beyond repair.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks dirtydog. i didn't think it was the TC, probly just my subconscious looking for an excuss to get a maruader unit. my uncle who is a ford service manager who used to be a tech thinks it's due to loss of pressure--i.e. bad seals. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Very possibly, sounds like the rings on the pump to me. I would replace all of the seals if you are having problems. If it has gotten that bad there may be some hard parts damage where the seals ride. Just replace the tranny or rebuild it. Or if you really want to do it right get a replacement tranny and have it built. It could be a clogged filter or something like that,but either way it means the tranny is done. You would be amazed at how many of the early tranny's got replaced at very low mileage under warranty.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 01-06-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in