Vibration quits when coasting. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Vibration quits when coasting.

I have a driveline vibration problem that I'm just starting to troubleshoot and diagnose. It is present at all speeds, and increases with and increase in speed. When coasting, the vibration is eliminated by 85% or so. It's not TC shudder, I have it too, but it's a different problem I believe.

First question: If a TC is way shot, can it cause a vibration at all speeds that quits when you let up on the gas?

Second question: If it's not the TC or any of the obvious thing (tires, wheels, shot IRS bushings) what is the most probable thing to check next?

Thanks...

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Mine does the same thing and I got tired of hearing "check the springs, balance tires, check the shocks, etc". Well i finally went back to the tire shop and watched them balance my tires. Turns out that 2 of my 17's were slightly bent around the inside lip. When I accelerate at/above 50mph it will feel like its vibrating but when i cruise it will smooth out unless I swerve or switch lanes then the bent rims wobble and it takes them awhile to get back on track. Once they are straight it's smooth. This may not be your problem but I doubt it's the TC or tranny. Both of mine are rebuilt and it still vibrates. My 2 cents.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:44 PM
PostWhore

I would also check the u-joints in the driveshaft. I get a vibration sometimes, but it goes away when I grease the u-joints.

Worth checking anyway,
Rob

02 AL PI 4.6L, 02 GT MAF and air box, SCT tune by lonnie.
2.25" true duals, no cats, Borla XS mufflers.
96 trans with 300HP + gear change J-mod, Mark VIII TC, & Hayden 30K GVW cooler.
Solid Rubber engine and tranny mounts. Polly front-end, tranny crossmember, and IRS bushings.
3.73 TL, 93 Mark VIII DS. Tokico Blues all around.
PBR dual piston calipers in front, Rear Disc Brake Swap.
97 console. Cooper 225/60/16s.
14.874 @ 93.56 with 3.27 before 3.73 upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. I've had locking nuts on the rear wheels that I didn't have a key for. I fixed that problem this weekend and will be installing the rims and tires from my Cougar and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be swapping the driveshaft from my Cougar. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be back looking for suggestions....

Glen "RustyUL" Weldon

94 Thunderbird SC - 5 Speed -- Picture Here
1 of 722 1994 SC 5-speeds made.
Soilid Engine Mounts, B&M Ripper Shifter, Tokico Shocks
95 Thunderbird LX - 4.6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
i had a nasty vibration at highway speeds. i personally balanced the tires 3 different times. problem never went away. finally went to sullivan tire and had the tires roadforce balanced. cost me $40. best $40 i ever spent...no vibration up to 95 mph. may be higher as well, but didn't check!

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:22 PM
PostWhore

Cool

It pretty much sounds like the guys got it covered. A vibration that increases with speed usually indicates it's in the drive train. A bent rim, So would an "out of round" tire. This usually means that the tread needs to be shaved to true it up. Yea, I would check U-joints, drive shaft (may of thrown a weight), and just for kicks, motor mounts and trans. mount. A Very remote possablity could be a cracked flex plate (flywheel), or torque convertor bolt. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in