Did anyone take pictures of their open to trac loc swap? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Did anyone take pictures of their open to trac loc swap?

I have looked for the info on the swap via "search". From what I gather, I need a 8.8 28 spline carrier out of a trac-loc car (some confusion with the whole side or spider gears). Well, I have just bought one, it has no gears nor dose it have any shims (which are iron and made for each gear ratio). I understand I remove the diff cover then there are four bearing caps that need to be removed. This is when the directions get a bit out of my reach. I found soo much conflicting infor mation. What is right? Do I have to remove the axles, wheels, brakes and such? Or will the open carrier just slide out on its own! I can follow directions alright, but as I have said before I have the reading comprehension of a pea! So, PICTURES IS GOOD FOR ERIC! I don't wan't to have to pay 900.00 for some dude to swap out carriers. Thanks

P.S. Is there some kind of document that has the procedure writen out?

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Don't take this the wrong way, as it is seriously intended as constructive criticism. With the questions you're asking, you should drop the complete carrier and take it to someone to swap the gears/traction lock.

To drop the carrier, you will (no matter what), have to remove the axles and disconnect the drive shaft.

Again, I'm not busting your chops, but setting up a differential IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY

(I’ve built many engines and will do almost anything to a car, and I won’t touch setting up a differential (or touch a transmission). You really need to know what you’re doing, or it will whine.. )

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I take no ofense to any thing. Typed words are still only words. Thanks for the input! I am just confused with what I should do. I know that having some one do it is the smart way to go...But 900.00 bucks! Holy Cow thats a grip o grass!

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 AM

I only had to pull one halfshaft to get my differential out, so try to get it out before you pull the second one-it might work. And I agree with everyone else-have it done professionally. Teeps has very good prices for setting up gears. If I can ever find a trac-lok carrier for myself, I'll be taking the whole mess to him.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Wow, $900 is pretty steep. Here is what I did.
Dropped out the whole pumkin, took my brother 45min. (bout the 8th one he'd done in a month)

Then I took the pumkin to our local clutch/brake shop and had them drop the TL carrier in and setup the backlash on the gears. They only charged me $40.

Reinstalled the pumpkin back into my car (about an hour). (don't forget to loctite the driveshaft bolts.)

'97 XR7 4.6
14.532 @ 96.40
225hp 272Tq
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Did you buy just the traction lok carrier or a complete pumpkin? Unless you're building some sort of race car or plan on taller gears, you'd be fine to just get a used pumpkin from a Super Coupe in a local junk yard and rebuild the traction lok. I've been to some wrecking yards in Chula Vista and always see a few T-Birds with 8.8 traction loks. You could buy a used pumpkin for about $55. I was in one wrecking today in my area and saw 6-7 MN12s with 8.8 traction loks. The rebuild kits are cheap, and you could do it yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you could pay someone around $100-150 to rebuild the traction lok, reset the clearances, and install new seals. Installing the pumpkin in the car is easy. You could do it in your driveway in a couple of hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in