junkyard 94 4.6l tranni - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

junkyard 94 4.6l tranni

i got a junkyard 4.6l tranni from a 95 i think tbird what should i deffantly replace on the tranni i want to spend as little as possible but still have a good tranni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94blubird
i got a junkyard 4.6l tranni from a 95 i think tbird what should i deffantly replace on the tranni i want to spend as little as possible but still have a good tranni
Well, in all honesty, the whole thing.
The 95-95 transmission is just not a good choice. I throw them away or give them back if I ever need to provide a core. They have the weakest intermediate one way clutch. They have a weak output shaft. They have aluminum bushings in the planet and for the reverse sun gear. They have poor design clutch frictions and the valve body has a few shortcomings.
Sorry.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Don't forget the troublesome aluminum accumulator pistons, and the flat pan.
Just say no to pre 96 4r70ws

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I concern myself more with the internals and too easily forget that everyone doesn't already know about those things.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Couldn't you rebuild a 94-95 using the updated parts? What difference would the case its in make?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Converter Guy

It would be cheaper to just buy a low mileage unit to build.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 PM

Get a 98 Crown Vic (non Cop car) or 98+ Marquis tranny.

You will be very pleased with the difference!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 PM

You mean '96 up? I was planning on rebuilding mine soon, since it needs a new TC anyway.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Mobley
You mean '96 up? I was planning on rebuilding mine soon, since it needs a new TC anyway.
Read first, ask later.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:36 PM

I put in a 99 CV tranny a few months ago, and the difference between the 94 and the 99 trannies is significant. Not to mention the difference in shifting between a broken 94 tranny and an almost brand-new J-modded 99 tranny. It only cost $500, too. That's with a torque converter, the only thing I needed to buy was a flexplate, and j-mod supplies. I bought new solenoids and MLPS as well, but you can swap those from your old tranny to save money.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear Poster

FYI: some info about adapting the new style solenoids to an older vehicle is avaliable here:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny...ernal/bulkhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228
Get a 98 Crown Vic (non Cop car) or 98+ Marquis tranny.

You will be very pleased with the difference!

Visit my website:

http://www.p71interceptor.com

Last edited by 2vmodular; 02-09-2005 at 05:50 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Read first, ask later

Well, FYI Mr. Smart Guy, I read that a long time ago, after which I performed the J-mod, replaced all the solenoids and accumulator pistons, replaced the pan, put in a cooler, replaced the MLPS. Perhaps I am not a transmission expert. However, I don't think that means I shouldn't try to learn as much as I can before disassembling something as complicated as a 4R70W. I guess I am wrong to look for help on this Forum. All you people seem to do is contradict each other anyway. Thank you. Have a nice day!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Get a real Ford shop manual for your vehicle- it's a good start to getting informed about what it takes to rebuild one.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Read first, ask later

Well, FYI Mr. Smart Guy, I read that a long time ago, after which I performed the J-mod, replaced all the solenoids and accumulator pistons, replaced the pan, put in a cooler, replaced the MLPS. Perhaps I am not a transmission expert. However, I don't think that means I shouldn't try to learn as much as I can before disassembling something as complicated as a 4R70W. I guess I am wrong to look for help on this Forum. All you people seem to do is contradict each other anyway. Thank you. Have a nice day!
I think you took that completely wrong. There is alot of good information there. It is worth reading several times. Don't just read the J-mod article read the whole thing. When you completely understand all of it you are ready to learn to build your own transmission. You took it as contradiction when all he was doing was pointing you in the right direction.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, I did screw up. I meant to quote
Quote:
Couldn't you rebuild a 94-95 using the updated parts? What difference would the case its in make?
If you read that article then you will know what difference the case makes.
I could have told you to use search or I could have just repeated the same thing that has been repeated over and over and over and over...
No, what I did was give you a good, solid, valuable resource to answer the question you are asking and told you to come back and ask what you didn't find an answer to later. I WAS trying to help you the best way I could.
Forget to take your happy pills today?

Last edited by Darrin; 02-09-2005 at 04:53 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Thank you for your responses. I don't mean to sound angry. I have used the "search" function on here many times, and have probably read everything ever written on here about torque converters, gear ratios, transmissions, etc. I don't have a photographic memory. My transmission works as its supposed to, but I know it needs a new torque converter. It got the shudder problem a while back, and it just seems rather sluggish. It also makes a rather annoying clunk, which I believe to be a problem with the center support. But back to matter at hand.
I have looked at car-part.com, and the average price for a used transmission seems to be about $400 to $500 for ones with over 100k miles. I don't see how its going to be cheaper to spend $500 on a used peice of junk and be that much in the hole before I even start buying parts. If there's some significant difference in the cases, perhaps I am misinformed. But I don't really think I need a fancy circuit board instead of individual wires, don't see the point of "upgrading" the solenoids if they work fine as is, putting in extra friction plates, or whatever. My current train of thought is to put in a Mark VIII or Marauder type converter and flexplate, rebuild the transmission in its stock form, and maybe get 3.73 gears. Will that make me the fastest kid on the block? I doubt it. But if I want to keep my Thunderbird, I'm going to have to do something. Maybe I should just sell it and get a Honda Civic, preferably one with a large tailpipe.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Check out www.greenleafauto.com my trans is an 02 mustang trans with 5,000 miles on it. $650 shipped to my door with the converter

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear Poster

you'll want to replace all of the electrical components inside the tranny with new service assemblies when you "rebuild" it to prevent problems in the future.

if you install a late model transmission assembly, you'll have the later style circuit board ones in it already. and you'll have to repin the bulkhead connector in your vehicle to make the transmission work.

Quote:
I have looked at car-part.com, and the average price for a used transmission seems to be about $400 to $500 for ones with over 100k miles. I don't see how its going to be cheaper to spend $500 on a used peice of junk and be that much in the hole before I even start buying parts. If there's some significant difference in the cases, perhaps I am misinformed. But I don't really think I need a fancy circuit board instead of individual wires, don't see the point of "upgrading" the solenoids if they work fine as is, putting in extra friction plates, or whatever. My current train of thought is to put in a Mark VIII or Marauder type converter and flexplate, rebuild the transmission in its stock form, and maybe get 3.73 gears. Will that make me the fastest kid on the block? I doubt it. But if I want to keep my Thunderbird, I'm going to have to do something. Maybe I should just sell it and get a Honda Civic, preferably one with a large tailpipe.

Visit my website:

http://www.p71interceptor.com
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
Tim is right.

As for the guy "rebuilding" a 94-97 transmission, my answer to that is just to throw it out. They are disposable. Even if they are 600-700 bucks for a late model one, how much is a rebuild at one of those chop shops?

Its to the point where you couldn't even buy the rebuild parts from ford and install them yourself for cheaper than you can buy these used ones for.

I picked up a 2001 5.4 E250 Van transmission for 300 bucks even shipped, and thats going in my car after it gets some "modifications"

JH
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:25 PM

OK! I give up! I saw where I could get a 98 Crown Vic tranny for $220 to rebuild. Or maybe like you said just pay $700 for a Mustang one thats still good. I just read the "Bible" again, and it sounds to me like 98-up is the way to go. But I bet the tranny shops rebuild the 94-97's all the time.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
keep looking you can do better.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can get you a 99 4r70w for less than $700 shipped if you are interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in