Here We go again - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TbirdSims
Angry Here We go again

Ok well, now this time the incredible shifting only lasted 2 months. In december my 2-3 sprag blew, and had my tranny fixed, again. Today i was driving on the highway, pushin the car a bit cause i was late going to pick up a friend. i step on the gas and insted of the car just gripping and going, it lagged a bit, then shifted. On the side streets i drove it normal. accelerated normal shifted fine, next stop sign i giv it abit more gas, and it lags going into 1st, normally it just slams into 2nd. now it lags a bit, then slams in, im letting my car cool down now cause i had some errans to run, but the thing is that 2-3 is like that, after the rebuild with the pa vb in. so i dont know if its something i should worry about, or what, please someone get back to me asap, if i need to sink any more money into this thing for repairs its gettin sold, cant afford it anymore!

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Maybe a broken 1-2 spring?? I don't know man. If this is the stock 95 trans, just with the PA VB and just the broken parts fixed the first time, I think it's prob. dead. The 95 wasn't known for it's tranny strength.

Someone will chime in with a better suggestion hopefully. Is the fluid full? Is it burnt?

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

no its ot the stock one, i had it rebuilt over a year ago, then 2 months ago the 2-3 sprag blew and they fixed that and cleaned everything else up, it was solid, so i dunno why the shifts are lagging, i was thining maybe the fluid might be low and the pressure isnt that great, not sure

Hayden Trans Cooler, R2C Cold Air intake, BBK Tuned Shortie Headers, Pypes High Flow Cats, Flowmaster 40's, SCT VMP Custom Tune, 06 spinner center caps, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Smoked Fogs, Blackout headlight covers, 8000K HID Headlights, Sequential Tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Does it have a new EPC solenoid or was the worn out old one reused?

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i would think that when it was totally rebuilt a year ago, they replaced everything, they put back in the pa vb in dec after the one part blew, after they cleaned everything up, i was reading the tech articals, and think it may be the piston, dont know why, but it does have a late shift and lag, so when i get my oil changed thursday i will have my regular shop just change out the 2 pistons n springs

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
While you are in there yank the epc solenoid and give it a look. You can see the wear on them the aluminum part gets worn and leaks pressure out around it.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

im gonna get some lucas tranny fix first n see if that will help it out, if not then when i get my oil changed im gonna have them take the pan off, replace the pistons n springs and i will tell them about the epc solenoid, n hopefully that will be it, i was just driving it and it was fine shifted normal under light accel, it was under med to heavy that it heasitated so im thinking its presure related. thanks for you input dirtydog, i feel like an *** when i keep posting with like the same problem after it gets fixed

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok well the fluid is good, upto level and smells sweet and still very cherry red, so from driving it today, i can only think that its the 1-2 accumulator and or the 1-2 spring. Going to drop it off for the oil change tomorrow and tell them to change all that stuff out as well. If anyone else has any other ideas before i go tomorrow please chime in

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok well thanks dirtydog for your input, since no one else has any ideas, im taking it to a performance tranny shop tomorrow, its gotten worse since this morning. Im praying that theres nothing wrong with it, and it is just the springs and accumulators, cause i cant afford another tranny, and if it is, im gonna fix it and then im done with this car, it has turned into a money hole, with nothing to show for it,

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok, well its going in on monday, but i would really appreciate some kind of response, so i kinda know what im looking at and if it is more than what i think, so if anyone with any kind of knowledge could please chime in insted of me sitting here in the dark and thinkin im gonna be buying a new tranny again, please respond,

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
I just think it isn't coincidental that everyone that I have heard of using anything other than a j-mod on a 4r70w daily driver has had a tranny die a very untimely death.
Just food for thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by TbirdSims
When im told you shoulndt do this, do this insted, i listen and do exacly that, but thats just me, i figure these people know whats goin on
Thats part of why it's so quiet in here I think. I wasn't the only one that told you not to use that valve body. Then you go harping on someone else for not listening to good advice when it is given.
Think about it.

My opinion is that you had a transmission failure and the aftermath wasn't ever properly cleaned up and is still flowing through your transmission leaving more destruction in it's path.
And, I still wouldn't use that valve body.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well first off everyone that i asked about the pa vb said it was good, on this forum none the less, also i dont have the time to sit there with out the equipment to do the j-mod, and also, i dont think that could be any reason why no one on this thing cant help out, i listend when it came to the trans-go, now how can you sit there and blame me for not listening when i asked a **** load of people on here, sorry but everyone that i talked to that has transgo said it was horrible, i changed that to PA, everyone i talked to with PA have not had any problem, none at all that they have atleast admitted, now do you think that what ever damage the transgo kit did to my tranny, carried over when i got the new better vb? For some reason i was in the tranny shop with the trans-go kit, with a NEW TRANNY more times in the past year than the original tranny was in the 9 years of its life. Also I personally think that if the guy did the proper job to the tranny, that i would have NO problems what so ever with it, Dont give me **** and look down on me when i acutally did ask people on here about the valve body, the other thing that i havent figured out and thought about, if the Valve body is so bad, what makes the J-mod better? same holes drilled, same springs, same accumulator, i bet that if i did the j-mod insted, the same thing would have happend, and ive told you people from the begining when i first got on here that ever since my trans got re-built i have had problems, so dont come down on me and make me feel like ****, and its funny that you didnt post my other quote about how i do my research and that the valve body was the main thing i asked people about, and i went with that because people who have it say its just as good as the j-mod, but your paying more, so please dont give me that,

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey, YOU asked.
I am just telling you what I think. If you don't want to hear it then don't ask. I don't see a huge line of people forming to try to help you and I was just trying to let you know what the issue there may be and then I told you what I think the problem is and has been. On top of that, you have a part that I wouldn't use. I don't see that I wrote more than that.
Why is it that everyone wants to read their attitude into my few words? I didn't have that problem when I wrote replies of novel like proportion but I just don't have time for that.

Remember that I told you in what I was saying that I felt your tranny would die an untimely death if you used that valve body. So blame me, OK...
I was giving advice and trying to help. Take it or leave it. You don't have to listen if you don't want to, but don't jump me for pointing out that what I said would happen has now indeed happened. It wasn't my fault, but I know you are frustrated. Please take it out on something else is all I am asking because you are not making this easy or making people want to help you.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

What exactly is the transmission that is in the car?
I may have an idea that would clear some of this BS up and help you out if you can be a LOT nicer about all of this.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well the way you made it seem was that since i didnt listen to anyone thats why i have the problem that i do, and yes i am fustrated cause for over a year my tranny has been nothing but problems, i do appologize i just dont wanna be labled in the same boat as that guy who completly ignored everyone and did his own thing, i listend to both sides about the vb and went with the vb. Ok it is a rebuilt as of last november, 03' its the 4r70w most likley the rebuilt 95 model. Orignially the tranny guy put in the transgo kit, and for a year i had problems brought it back many times, and it was alwasy "fixed". I decited to go with the VB in october. From october till december it was great, december the 2-3 sprag blew and the tranny was "fixed" again. the guy had it for a week. Now the tranny really felt solid. felt really good, the other day i was on the highway, and when i got off, going from 1-2 was a little laggy, almost like not enough presure , same thing going into 3rd, from what i read in the tech articles its the springs and or the accumulator. I took out the old vb that i had and took the plates off, and the old springs and accumulators were gone, meaning they used them for the pa vb. Under light accel it goes 1-2 normal, but anything over 1500 rpm it lags a bit then goes in, same thing for 2-3 and od is normal. From what i feel when driving there are no vibrations, but sometimes i dont know if its in my head or not, it feels sluggish. I drove it from getting an oil change b4 and it felt fine with the exception of the lag. I have a chip, the hypertech but it dont work, dont think it ever did, and i have a cooler on the tranny.

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, for informational purposes, the accumulator springs and accumulators are not in the valve body. Those are in the case.
Are you sure that the hypertech chip isn't the problem? The chip may have been working in whatever capacity it has and could have come loose from the computer. That would drop your line pressure on the shifts and cause what you are feeling.
So, have you checked the chip? Make absolutely sure the contacts on the computer are sanded down. When you think the contacts are sanded down enough, sand them a little more. Just don't sand the copper off the board. Also, it is important to tape the chip to the computer.
Do that first. I know you are going to say that you did, but please humor me and doi it again and try to take pics to show us so that we can see what you see.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

alright, my bad with the springs n accumulators for some reason i thought they were in the vb, i will have to do that on another day, cause its a bit wet out over here, should i take it out drive it then put it back in after i try to clean the chip and contacts a bit more? i dont have my digital cam, cant find it anywere, but i will try to take pics. you know of anyone else, shift kit, j-mod or pavb that didnt have a chip and had that lag problem?

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

A loose chip can cause any sort of problems. Lets just pick a point and start there. I am choosing this point because I have seen you complain about that chip a lot and it can cause a problem like this.
Drive it with the chip out and then with the chip in after you clean the contacts. If you just pull the chip and feel a change you may be fooled into thinking that it is making proper contact just because it is doing something.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok thanks a lot, im gonna go see about it now, will post after i test it.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok well, i took it out, and the first thing to happen was the chip fell out. i pluged everything back in with out the chip and drove it, same problem. I cleaned the contacts well didnt sand off the copper, and taped the chip in. Drove it and the lag didnt last long, it hit harder, but i still belive there is a lag. It could all be in my mind, i got work at 4 so i gotta drive it there, also with it being wet out i cant really tell. I will report back later tonight hopefully it will dry up a bit.

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Sand off to the copper on both sides

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

one side is really hard, i got to most of the copper, but i could only get a bit of the tips on the one side, anything i could use with the sandpaper?

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can go to the drugstore and get one of those emory boards that women use to do their fingernails with. My ex left me with a lot of those and that is what I have been using. The ones that are foam sandwiched in between 2 pieces of emory cloth are the best.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ooo ok, my sisters got some of those things, for her nails n stuff, yeah thats better than the sandpaper, i got the one side clear, the paper is too flexible for such an angle, im gonna put it back in, in a few

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Darrin, if your ever in ny, you gotta hit me up and i will buy you wings and beer all night long, wow, this is the first time in years that the chip worked and i acutally felt it, thank you for your help, i cant even imagine how much better lonnies chip will be, but the problem is solved thanks again man, and like i said, next time your in the ny area i gotta take you out for wings and beer! hootas!

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Don't worry about it. I am just really glad that we were able to work together and get the problem fixed. What other people can gain from this thread is well more than worth it.

Don't forget to tape the darn thing in place to keep ot from jarring loose now, ok?

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yeah me too, and i am sorry for flipping out, and yes i used a lot of duct tape!

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Just remember that I am still worried about that PA valve body and it's effect on the life of your transmission. I don't want to let that slip by the wayside. I am really, really glad that I was wrong about thinking that it already killed the tranny, but I still have my doubts about those things. I need to get my hands on one to see what they have done to it.
Anybody want to pitch in a couple of bucks toward getting one to tear down and see? Or better yet, anyone have one they want to trade for a fully j-modded valve body? I can send you the modded valve body first and you can take yours out and send it to me. That is the offer I was going to make here if the chip didn't fix this anyway.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thats a great offer man, acutally the only vb i have is the one that had the trans-go kit in it, and the trans-go springs, i have that one just incase anything were to happen and needed to swap in the old one. From what i gatherd, its a regular ford vb, and its got the larger bore sizes on the plates, a few on here did say that it matched the j-mod, but since i really never looked at the vb, or even attempted the j-mod i cant really tell you.

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

That's why I want to get one in my own hands and take it apart.
PI was supposed to build an incredible converter and when we cut open their single plate we were disappointed.
Pro Torque was supposed to build an incredible converter and when we cut one open we were disappointed.
Art Carr was supposed to build an incredible transmission and when we took one apart we were disappointed.
A lot of things are not as they are reputed to be and I have my doubts on the PA valve body. I hope I am wrong, but the thing is that I want to know for sure. The only way to do that is for me or someone I trust to take one apart and show the pics for everyone to see. Unfortunately I just don't have the resources to buy and take apart one of everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in