shifter cable/ key problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Who is John Galt?

shifter cable/ key problem

I did a search, but didn't find the info i needed. The best way I can put it is that I'm having the problem in this thread:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ight=key+stuck
I wrestled with it for about half an hour, and finally got it out. I think it may have something to do with when the shifter cable was replaced. Is it a switch in the shifter, the dash, the button, etc.? help

"Won't work, can't be done"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

When you put the car in park, the button on the shifter is supposed to come all the way out. There is a cable that runs from that button to a little thing that blocks the key cylinder from turning all the way off. If that button isn't 100% out, the key won't come out. If the cable is sticking in the column, you need to take it apart and see what's going on.
  • Remove the cover under the steering column. (2 or 3 screws)
  • Pull out the venting under the steering column
  • Remove 4 nuts holding up the steering column
  • Remove the alan headed screws from where you see the cable going into the steering column
That's from the top of my head so there could be some other small step in there somewhere.
Once you get it apart you can push the button and inspect it to see what's up. I went through all that and found out the little thingy that blocks the key just wasn't getting out of the way completely because the car sat for five years. I just added some grease and worked it a little and voila!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in