Driver's side rear wheel wobble - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Driver's side rear wheel wobble

Hi All,
My son’s 1994 Thunderbird rear wheel (driver’s side) is making a thump noise when driving.
I jacked up the car to find that the wheel has play in it, a lot of play. Is this the wheel bearings in the hub assy?
If so do I need to remove the hub and have the new bearings pressed in? Is it difficult to remove the hub?
I need to fix this soon, he need’s his car for work and school.
Thanks in advance.
-quadcells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear Poster

You might want to make sure it's not some other part in the rear suspension. When I bought it, both rear wheels in my SC could be moved a good 1/2". It made the thumping sound you mentioned. The problem was the bushings in the rear upper control arms. The wheel bearings were fine. With the rear wheel off the ground, have someone lift up on them and watch for movement in the control arm bushings.

Black 94 SC
Black 95 SC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
PostWhore

Cool

yea, that's true. Doesn't necassairily need to be the bearings, but if it does turn out that they are bad, the hub will have to be replaced. The bearings aren't servicable in the hub. I had mine done not to long ago, it was about 69.00 for the hub and about 80.00 labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

I paid $15 shipped for a used hub. $32 for the bearing. $15 at the Ford shop to have it pressed in.

Word of caution, don't let ANYBODY but Ford try to press in the new bearing. Ford garages have a special set of dies just to press the hubs & bearings on our cars. They were all required to buy them. But if you'll pull the rear carrier(s) off the car yourself and take them in, they'll likely press them for you for next to nothing. Good luck.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:51 PM
PostWhore

Cool

That's a good deal, probably the way to go if you can pull the works yourself. I can't though, because of my back, so I'm stuck paying a lot more money than you Yuts!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks people,
But I had to bring it in to get service. I try to do as much as I can but this time I didn't have the time and the shop wants $400.00 to do it.
The hub was destroyed by the bad bearings and took a long time to remove.
The shop ordered the parts from Ford and it should be done today. I was surprised by the size of the bill.
Thanks again for your help.
-quadcells
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
I paid $15 shipped for a used hub. $32 for the bearing. $15 at the Ford shop to have it pressed in.

Word of caution, don't let ANYBODY but Ford try to press in the new bearing. Ford garages have a special set of dies just to press the hubs & bearings on our cars. They were all required to buy them. But if you'll pull the rear carrier(s) off the car yourself and take them in, they'll likely press them for you for next to nothing. Good luck.
Hey now I have the hub tamer.

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in