Help with auto to manual tranny conversion - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Help with auto to manual tranny conversion

I have a 1995 Thunderbird LX auto trans 4.6L V8 car. I want to install a manual transmission and also a 32 valve DOHC 4.6L V8. I have a 1995 Mark VIII car to supply the motor (which I would like to adapt the SC supercharger to as well), and this weekend I am going to pick up a 1994 5 speed SC. So now I have all the donor cars, but I have one BIG problem. The SC car has a Mazda based model RKE 5 speed manual trans which bolts to Ford's 3.8L V6. The crossmember, pedals, driveshaft, shifter, and engine are all made to fit with that trans. Having the SC donor car will allow me to bolt in all of these components, but the trans WILL NOT bolt to either the factory V8 which is in the car not, not the V8 that is going to be installed from the Lincoln. Does anyone know what to do here. I can't find any specs on the RKE model to compare to the T-5's or the T-56's and see if they are close enough to work in an environment made for the RKE. I am missing some major info. on how to work through this bug. Has anyone donethis conversion from an auto to a manual in a V8 thunderbird? Is there a resource which provides some instruction?
Please email me at [email protected] or call me at 443-864-9144

Thank you,
Mercy Jantz (Baltimore, MD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:46 PM

do you have any idea how rare a '94 SC w/ 5 speed is? your insane imo to scrap a 94/95 5-speed SC.

if you want a manual in your 95 with a DOHC swap, i believe your gonna have to get your hands on a tremec T-45 or T-56.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Click this link to get yourself started. You can also find a lot of info on this subject searching the forums.

The only way you'll get a M5R2 (SC 5-speed) behind a 4.6 is if you use the case from a 97+ 4.6 4x2 F150 and the SC tranny's internals and tailshaft housing. Otherwise you'll need a T-45 with a custom shifter extension housing.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
There is a tech article on this from the front page in transmissions by Papa John on the T-45. Tech articles You can use the pedals and master cylinder from the donor car and the console (if you want a hand e-brake) or you could sell the console to me. There is also a ton of info that you can search through...

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Those are just a few threads that I found by searching....maybe they will help along with the tech article. Also I wouldn't bother putting the SC supercharger on the MarkVIII engine....it would require custom parts and not only that it is really too small for that engine. I think I would look around for other options.

Russ

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in