Weird! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Weird!

Well,

I've been looking for a new transmission and today I got in my car and started it up to mess around with the sound system.

I was bored and put the shifter into first and guess what...IT WENT FORWARD...now I'm thinking what the hell is going on considering this is the same car that left me stranded and wouldn’t go anywhere at a light and it also went into reverse without a problem...

I'd like to get back into this car ASAP so I want to know, is there a possibility that the filter and fluid are just bad? I know the fluid is mostly black, it has only been changed once in the 200k miles that are on the transmission and there are no metal shavings or anything...I thought about dropping the pan but I don’t have a catch can laying around for it (that’s a lot of fluid).

- Pelezo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I read somewhere that after a certain amount of miles on fluid thermal break down starts to occur where the fluid isn’t effective at such high temperatures or when it gets warmed up thus the TC or the transmission wouldn’t shift.

I thought about trying to take it around the neighborhood street real quick (no insurance) and I just got my AAA Membership but the thing was a pain to get up the driveway due to the Reverse not working properly (it would work when the car sat for a little bit).

- Pelezo
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 PM
PostWhore

Cool

It is possable ( and this is from the old days) that the screen/filter gets clogged from all the junk and gunk getting sucked into it while running causing it to clog. After you shut her down and let it cool, the junk/gunk drops back out of it, allowing flow till it gets sucked in again next time you use it. Food for thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah,

Me and Big Pete are going to drop the pan and fluid Sunday and fix this beast once and for all...

I'M DONCING I GET MY BABY BACK! Hopefully it'll be the fluid and/or filter, frankly I don’t care as long as I can drive my baby again.

I used Lucas Transmission Additive (young, stupid, forgive me) and that’s when the problems started happening, it would fail to go into second gear and would go directly to third and fourth if I got it up to speed then that stopped and it worked normal and then it wouldn’t go anywhere one day and now its working again when its cold, when it gets hot though it wont go anywhere.

My dad was telling me about on his caprice (yes, I used to be poor in the 'hood) he had the same problem until he changed the filter and fluid...geeh thanks for telling me this when I dropped the money on the RX7 pops!

*Huggles Thunderbird*

- Pelezo
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

The fluid is BLACK/Dark Brown, there are no metal shavings on the dipstick tube, I'm going to wait until Sunday to drop the pan because I'll spill it all on me most likely so I need a better person to help me (Pete).

- Pelezo
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

There shouldn't be any shavings on the dipstick, it's the wrong kind of steel.

But you may or may not find any on the magnet in the pan.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

I don't get it...:/
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
PostWhore

Cool

What usually happens, more or less, as the clutches wear, you'll get microscopic particles in the fluid that almost act like a friction modifier( if you will) that still works with the rest of the hydrolic system that still exists, (god my spelling s***s). It will eventually get to the point were it will start to clog (the system) up. It has been said (in the old days ) that when you change the fluid after an extended period of time without service (shiftes OK but fluid looks like s**t), you start to have problems because you lost all of the "MODIFIER" from the old fluid, which were the "shavings" from the clutches. You still should never see metal in your fluid when you check it. Maybe in the pan win it is dropped. I have had this happen to me in the past with an old Turbo 350 in my '70 MonteCarlo. It was shifting a little sluggish, so I changed the fluid in my drive way and it was never the same after that. I'm not saying this is your case, just thought I'd pass on a little personel experiance.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Cant afford to fix the Thunderbird, I'm going to make due with my RX7, thanks for all of your help.

- Pelezo
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Well,

I'm getting my new transmission soon, avoid the above post and ignore it.

I do have something that's bothering me though so I tested my theory.

I turned the car on and put it in D, went up and down the driveway like a mad man when wouldn’t you know it, it did the same thing again after about 10 minutes of back and fourth, my guess was the fluid heated up and viscosity(I think?) of the fluids low because it burnt up when I power housed it when it first started acting up to get to work., just stopped unless I gave it a gas then it would slowly kick in and start going again (just like it did at the light).

Now, it definitely has something to do with transmission, the RPM's would drop real low and the car would almost die but I'm wondering if the car just needs a fluid/filter change and then it would be drivable to the shop to change the transmission out.

What do you think? Try and change the fluid, I've got about $500 to spend on this whole process and the trannys $240 so I'm down about to about $240 with the tranny bought and getting money's not going to be that big of a problem at the moment because all the bills are now paid (until next month).

- Pelezo
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to goodguy
you said the car would almost die. I assume you mean it would almost stop. It shouldn't bring down the engine any. I'd change the fluid and filter. If it is black then that would be my first guess. And shame on you for letting it get black and driving it like that. Bad, Bad boy, no doughnut..
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey,

My dad owned it for the majority of the cars life, I just picked it up and was stupid and didnt do anything to it except think about car mods, not the mantience of it.

I've learnt a lot from TCCoA and I'm actually trying to stay off the streets race wise because of TCCoA, my dad looked at me like I was crazy when I said the car club restricts it! haha

Going to go buy fluid & filter and screw around with it!

- Pelezo
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Took the plunge and dropped the tranny pan by my self, next is the TC.

There was one little metal peice in the bottom of the pan (could of been plastic, not too sure) and the rest was little metal shavings on the magnet, really fine like I couldnt pick any up and look at it on my finger, only on the magnet when I swirled it around on the magnet.

Next the TC!

- Pelezo
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:54 PM

That is some seriously dreadful looking fluid there...
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah,

It wasn’t changed in about 90k miles! What do ya'll think, Bad enough to ruin the transmission? I'm taking an intermission to wait on Big Pete and my dad to get here.

- Pelezo
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Like Titles Matter

That trans is junk, it appears to have been very hot and/or to have ingested dirty water.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

It did get very hot, it first started slipping so I powerhoused it to get to second/third/od and burnt up the fluid doing so. The whole slipping started when I was sitting at a light about to play with one of my friends so I staged for a good two or three minutes on a 95 degree day without a trans cooler.

We'll see soon enough it works or not, if it does It'll give me some time to gain some more funds for a better trans than the marq.

Torque Converter is draining now!

PS, I overfilled the trans with lucas transmission stab - bad, that was the ultimate failure of it clogging the filter. The new filter you can stick a thumb tack through, this old one is almost solid clogged wise.

- Pelezo
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Alright,

Well, swapped the fluid & filter and it's doing the same thing it used to do before it stopped working, get up to 5k RPM before it shifts, I'm just going to leave it as is so it'll be able to make it down the driveway to get to the tow truck.

I just bought a 98 Mustang GT Tranny for $150 (50k Miles) but that's without shipping!

- Pelezo
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy
you said the car would almost die. I assume you mean it would almost stop. It shouldn't bring down the engine any. I'd change the fluid and filter. If it is black then that would be my first guess. And shame on you for letting it get black and driving it like that. Bad, Bad boy, no doughnut..
Would that effect the shifting? I know the filter is LONG over-due to be changed (by about oh say 200k miles - never been changed).

- Pelezo
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Like Titles Matter

The filter must have been changed at some point, I do see a crappy cork gasket there.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

The tranny filter was changed at about 100k miles and along with the gasket. We replaced the fluid & filter and it still gets up to about 5k rpms before it wants to shift.

I was asking about the fuel filter, if it was clogged would it interfere with the shifting, I know the car runs super rich because of the gutted cats and the filter has NEVER been changed...ever. If it does, I'll run up to advanced auto and get a filter right quick and change it out in the rain and see if it helps, the tranny will be bought either way, I just would like a band-aid to get me back in my bird faster, you have no idea how much the rx7 sucks!

- Pelezo
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
a fuel filter is something that I personally change every year, its like a 20k item in my book. If you don't know how old yours is, you should replace it anyways.

Do the diff also, I bet that is way way overdue.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Dude, you got 200k out of a 95 transmission. Consider yourself the luckiest guy you know. Buy a boat, and use that 95 tranny to anchor it. Then get a 01-02 Mustang trans and put it in.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Well,

01-02 is out of the question, I instead bought a 98 Mustang GT Tranny for $150 () with the TC and 50k miles on the clock.

I personally change the fuel filter every 20k miles and yes, I'll do the diff fluid as soon as the car's back up and running, after it gets up and running I have the following planned;

1) Oil Change
2) Fuel Filter
3) Diff Fluid Change
4) Belt Replaced
5) Water Pump Possibly
6) Air Filter
7) PCV Valve

Is there a reason I should shy away from the 98 Mustang tranny?

- Pelezo
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Chirper

Um, common sense tells me that with fluid like that, it would have been wise to drop the valve body and clean the piss out of it with CRC Chlorinated Brake cleaner. But then again, it's an early model trans, not worth saving, and you already have a new trans anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in