Trans Mod - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Talking Trans Mod

Aloha Guys!

I'm about to do the trans mod on my '94 Bird w/3.8 and I just wanted to make sure I have everything I need. Here is the list and if anything is missing, please let me know.

#1. More than enough Merc-V Fluid ( I got 2cases. $50 a case. OUCH!)
#2. Trans pan with deep sump (Also installed drain kit from B&M)
#3. Filter kit from Fram w/pan gasket
#4. Updated 1-2 & 2-3 Accum. piston and cover
#5. Separator gasket (upper and lower)
#6. New spring for 1-2 accum. (got the part # off the tech article)
#7. New updated Torque Converter (#f8az-7902-aarm. BTW this su**er cost me $330. Is this the going price?)
#8. Trans cooler from B&M (24,000)

Also, not related to trans, but I will install new u-joint while I'm at it and will also upgrade the trans mount and crossmember bushing to that of MN12 performance bushing kit.

I hope this is all I need. I am planning to do this next week on my day-off and I hope two-days will be enough time. Any input will be appreciated.

As always, thanks guys.

---------------------------------------------
94' Thunderbird LX - nice car!
3.8, wanna change to some kind of v-8 soon, wish had a Trac-loc, wish had set of 17inch, may settle with 16inch, wishing harder for true-dual. Wishing even harder for new paint job! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Depends on how much you get charged just because of being on the island. Those of us in the 48 can get 12-14 Qts of MercV for about $40, and the TC for about $150+$50 core charge. Where did you get your stuff?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Believe it or not, I got it from local Ford Dealer. They are known for over-charging the customer but hey, that's the only place I (we) can go and they know it. Suc*ks huh?

I paid 330+50 core. And that Merc-V, it was more like 52 a case. On the other hand, we have nice sunny day most of the time, temp is always on upper 80's, nice girls from all over the world, and if it does rain, most of the time it will be just for few hours (we hardly have a day where it rains all day). But as you can see, you WILL pay for it. OUCH!!!

Is anybody planning to visit my lovely island anytime soon? I might ask for few parts I need.............

Toshi

3.8, wanna change to some kind of v-8 soon, wish had a Trac-loc, wish had set of 17inch, may settle with 16inch, wishing harder for true-dual. Wishing even harder for new paint job! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Should've just called Dan. If you had researched it first you would have found out that for a couple dollars more you could have gotten a better torque converter than that one.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Don't forget the shipping to Hawaii. I don't know how much that would cost for the torque converter. That be heavy.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Yeah, shipping usually kills otherwise decent or even awsome deal. But for the price I paid for the converter, I should've call Dan. Even I pay big buck for shipping, I think it would've come out lot cheaper than I paid...........

Well, this time, I kinda needed the part in hurry (I think my converter is going because I get a really bad shudder) and pretty much got everything.

anyway, I hope the list up there have all the parts I need because I'm about to tackle the trans next week on my day-off. Wish me luck guys.........

Oh, and thanks for all you input. Helps me a lot.

Toshi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in