Need help troubleshooting... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Need help troubleshooting...

Yesterday my 90' Cougar (over 200,000 miles) developed a new sound, I'm hoping someone will be able to figure this out. The sound is similar to the sound that 4x4 mudders make, kind of a whiring sound... it varies with the speed of the car, seemingly louder during de-acceleration. I checked all of the tires and nothing looked unusual. And I haven't been able to pin point exactly where the sound is coming from. I was thinking it could either be a bearing or the rear differential... anyone care to enlighten me?

90' Cougar Sport Edition 3.8 (RIP)
92' Cougar 25th Anniversary Edition 5.0
96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

btw... I have also noticed a slight vibration linked to the sound...

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:04 AM
PostWhore

Cool

First, pinpoint if it is front or rear. While cruising at about 25mph or so, turn the wheel right and left and see if there is a change in the sound. Keep both of your windows down to listen. If there is a noticable differance in the pitch of the sound, it may be in the front. Also try to feel any resistance in the steering wheel. When your checking your tires, use your hands. You can feel what your eye may not see. what you want to look or feel for ( assuming it may be a tire) is a tread or steel belt seperation. Next possability would be a wheel bearing. That's a differant animal to check. Once you've eliminated the tires, the best way to check your wheel bearings is to remove the tire and check the hub for play. You can try to "wiggle" the tire, but can be misleading. From what you are saying, I would guess a tire, maybe a wheel bearing. Not that expensive to do. Good Luck

Last edited by Uncaged 94; 02-16-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncaged 94
First, pinpoint if it is front or rear. While cruising at about 25mph or so, turn the wheel right and left and see if there is a change in the sound. Keep both of your windows down to listen. If there is a noticable differance in the pitch of the sound, it may be in the front. Also try to feel any resistance in the steering wheel. When your checking your tires, use your hands. You can feel what your eye may not see. what you want to look or feel for ( assuming it may be a tire) is a tread or steel belt seperation. Next possability would be a wheel bearing. That's a differant animal to check. Once you've eliminated the tires, the best way to check your wheel bearings is to remove the tire and check the hub for play. You can try to "wiggle" the tire, but can be misleading. From what you are saying, I would guess a tire, maybe a wheel bearing. Not that expensive to do. Good Luck
Thanks for the advice.... it does vary when I turn the steering wheel.... And if I had to guess, I would say the sound is coming from the front driverside. But like I said, I'm not absolutely sure.

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
200K miles? Wheel bearings...

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkStill
200K miles? Wheel bearings...
I suspect you may be right, especially after tonight... A friend and I met up tonight to go out to eat, so I told him I prefered not to drive because my car was making an unusual noise. So we left in his car and I started to explain the noise my car was making and then started to hear something familiar... his car was making the exact same sounds! And since his car is a front driver (Dodge Avenger) and making the same exact sound... I suspect it must be the wheel bearing, seemingly front left like mine! So I doubt it has anything to do with the differential or driveshaft... although it could still be a half shaft (gotta love and IRS)... but I am putting my money on the front left wheel bearing... I'll post my findings

96' Contour Sport (RIP)
01' Jaguar XJR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in