Trans swap - 2000 into 1995 - Differences? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Trans swap - 2000 into 1995 - Differences?

We're picking up a 2000 Mustang GT Trans to put in my buddies 1995 Thunderbird tonight.

I need to know, what are the differences? What do i need to change?

Do i just need to move a couple of pins, or do i need to buy any electric parts from inside the trans? Should swap any of the old electronic parts into the new trans? I've heard numerous references to re-pinning the connector, but haven't come across a picture or a clear explanation of what i need to change. I could probably figure it out, but if someone can point me to some directions or a pic, i'd appreciate it.

I read somewhere that there might be a different number of teeth on the output shaft. What speedo gear should i use with 4.10's, or will we need to get a speedcal?

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 AM
PostWhore

Re-pin the harness, swap the MLPS Lever, MLPS Sensor, TCC Solenoid, swap his VSS sensor to the new transmission. I think that covers all that needs to be done... You could also do the JMod while you have the new one out...

Harness info

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have the c-clip for the OWMD welded if he plans to spin that trans. into the higher RPMS a lot. Add at LEAST a 24K stacked plate transmission cooler. I'd go w/ 28K personally. $60 from Summit for a B&M.

300HP drill spec J-Mod

Don't forget to fill the new trans with Mercon V fluid, not Mercon III.

Have lots of rags around (trust me)

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

He's already got a tranny cooler. The old trans didn't actually blow, just started leaking real bad, but we'll flush it out good anyway.

We're not messing with the seperator plate, not for awhile anyway. It's going right back to Alternative to get the tune finished when it's done, and it's a 2k trans, so i don't see a need for the j-mod. I've never heard of this welding thing... what is it? You're talking about something on the OWC? I've spun my stock (j-mod, tune, tc) '97 trans to damn near 7k many, many times, so i'm not really worried about putting a 2k trans behind a stock '95 SOHC motor.

Oh, believe me, i know about the rags. Gonna have plenty of oil dry handy too. Always fun stuff. I've done this job a few too many times already (helped do trans's in '89 SC, '95 Mark, '95 t-bird, and did it myself in my '97 mark... twice when i screwed up).

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in