Thinking about drive train mods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about drive train mods

I got some extra money and was thinking about getting a torque converter, flex plate and gears for the rear end. The car is a 94 V8 with Richard M intake, custom exhaust, Reinhart chip, and a J-mod. I was wondering what combination you guys would recommend for all of these drive train components. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Is the trans. the original 94 unit? How many miles on it?

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah its the stock tranny, about a 130,000 on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would be saving to buy a new Torque Converter, flexplate, 99+ trans, tranny cooler, and a few other parts, plus the j-mod.

The 94 4R70W is not known to be the strongest, and if it's got 130K on a stock trans, which means Mercon III is still in it, and not the Mercon V, then it's just a matter of time before it craps out. Do you have any shudder from the TC yet?

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

It is running Mercron V right now, switched to that when I did the J-mod, and the shudder disappeared after that. I do understand the concern about the 94 trans, haven't heard many good things about them. If this is not a good route to go, any other suggestions?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree, find a 01-02ish Mustang GT trans and get that. You'll have to replace that stocker eventually anyway, might as well do it when you decide to instead of when it decides to fail.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah if Im dropping a trans I might as well muscle a nicer one back up in there......hmmm why must my goals always exceed my wallet
Thanks guys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Would this tranny I found on ebay be what your talking about?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

and if so what else would I need?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yes that 01 will do fine

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you can't find a low mile one on Ebay, then check out car-part.com. That's how I found my tranny. Also, you can use the trans. from a Mercury Grand Marquis, a Vic (as long as it's not a police or taxi) as well. Hate to see you drop more money for a trans just because it came from a 'stang.

I'd get the 01 trans, have the spiral ring done by Alan, j-mod, Mark VIII converter and flexplate, add a deep pan w/ drain plug, and make sure to use a nice stacked-plate cooler.

If you get lucky, you may be able to keep this all down to around $800 if you do all the work yourself. Figure $500 for a trans, $200 for TC and flexplate, and another $100 or so for the Mercon V, gaskets, and the little things along the way.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I just think that it would be easier now to build one up and have it ready to go, instead of having the trans. die and leave you stranded somewhere. Would cut out some of the downtime when the replacement comes due.

Jay

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:36 AM

I got my tranny from car-part.com as well, cost me $500 for a 99 Crown Vic tranny with less than 5K on it, and it even came with a torque converter. Check around on there, you'll be able to find a good deal with a little patience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in