Ring Gear Holes Wont Line Up - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
Ring Gear Holes Wont Line Up

i bought a motorsport ring and pinion gear set #m-4209-f373n 3.73 for a 8.8 from blue oval industries off ebay. got this back at christmas and now having it installed at the dealership i work for by guys who do this all day. the 3.73 gear holes dont line up the the posi carrier. there are three holes on the ring that no matter how you turn it thoes same three are always off, (the old 3.27 gear fits the new carrier just fine however). the guy at this place told me to send it back and he will check it with what he has in stock, hes prob going to blow me off. what do i do.

***image removed from signature due to rule violation***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:22 AM

ummm, if it's a Motorsports gear set, they'll line up, they just have to be indexed properly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
well, we cant even bolt the gear to the carrier to index the setup, shim ect. if that what you mean.

***image removed from signature due to rule violation***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:15 AM

huh, return it and check the part number on your carrier, theres no indexing of ring gears, you just line them up roughly to the holes and pull the gear evenly with the bolts, unless you have the proper press or whatever Ford might use, who knows I cant find my shop manual and always use the bolts to draw up the gear

well the guys at the shop can see 1st hand whats going on, are you asking what to do if the part numbers on the ring gear are right and someone drilled the holes wrong and it cannot be returned? Call Ford Motorsport and tell them they ****ed up and you will be buying a GM?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:54 AM

That's real strange for holes not to line up. Was the gearset in a Ford box or just wrapped up? Hopefully it wasn't rescued from a reject pile at the factory. I'd try the local Ford dealer and see if they could help. Seems there are some dealers who stock more Motorsport parts than others. That would be the one to deal with. Um, you don't work at a Ford dealer do you?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:18 PM

I'm sure alot of you already know this:

Freeze the part you want to make smaller and heat the one you want bigger.

example:
#1 Warm a brake rotor with the parts washer or a mapp torch while the new races are in the freezer. Then I merely drop the race in.
#2 Heat the small end of the con rod then let the wristpin fall in place. [I wouldn't try this on pm rods]

Just make sure everything is lined up when you put it together since it won't come back apart easily. Hardened parts shouldn't be heated very hot. Use common sense when warming up a ring gear.
This trick is mostly used for bearings.

Standard flywheel ring gears are different. I've always heated them up as hot as possible with a rosebud tip on the oxy-acetylene torch.

Actually on a diff I just use the bolts. If the bolts won't start a brass hammer helps me Git r Done right there
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Thats crazy, the holes should line up. I used a rubber hammer to beat my 3.73 ring gear part way on and then used the bolts in a criss cross pattern to pull it onto the carrier. Just get it pretty close before you beat it on there. Good luck man. If you still think the holes are wrong, measure distances between them and see if there are any significant inconsistencies.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:43 PM

Exactly. The ring gear won't just drop on. You line the holes up, put all the bolts in, and pull the gear up onto the carrier with the bolts. If it's a Ford 8.8 ring gear, and a Ford 8.8 carrier, they'll line up, there's no way they can't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in