Replacement AOD - which is the most cost effect route?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Replacement AOD - which is the most cost effect route??

My AOD is going out, very quickly!!

I need to get a new one pronto... I cant afford the $1500 price that Im finding all over the web for a rebuilt unit.. I may have to get rid of the car if I cant solve this problem properly..

I want to get something that is a little stronger than stock, perhaps with a thicker OD band, a shift kit and better torque converter.. but I cant go too crazy because I dont have the money for that right now...

Is it possible to get something stronger than stock, for under $700-$800?

I saw a remanufactured one on Ebay for $570.00 before shipping ($260 to ship it to me). What do you guys think of that one???

I know that most transmission rebuild kits, (even the ones from Ford) come with stronger bands, etc... should this one be that same way as well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-92...spagenameZWDVW

it has a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.. seems to me like $260.00 is a bit much to be paying for shipping, even for this big *** hunk of ****!!

Would I be ok, just throwing a Trans-go and nice torque converter in along with this trans?? Im running the 302 stock for a while.. I'll swap in a better trans whenever I manage to get a better small block (stroker) in there..

I have a rear end that is sitting around, so Ill probably throw that in at the same time as the trans swap to get the car out of the hole better, and work with the torque converter..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Veteran Poster

You can build a pretty decent AOD for yourself for your budget....but adding labor for someone else to do it will exceed it.

Look around the stang sites and whatnot for some good rebuilds and what not.

www.bulkpart.com

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in