tranny? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

tranny?

hey, i was on my way home and i was goin around a corner on the highway about 50 because someone was goin slow in front of me, when they started speeding up i gave it some gas and it shifted from overdrive down to third and the tire chirped, it also shifts hard goin into and out of overdrive, but it dont slip when in it, what could be the problem? also my car is completly stock, 86, 5.0, Aod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Thats the way these aod's act when the direct clutches get worn. The direct drive inside the converter plays a huge roll as well.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

now does that mean the trannys about to shat, or can it go on forever like that? i changed the filter and some fluid on it a couple days ago, it was the first time it has been done because the plug was still on the bottom of the pan, there was no metal that i saw, so am i looking into a new tranny or rebuild in the near future, or is it one of those things you can live with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

also this car is just over 100K, so its not really high milage, idk if that helps...
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Converter Guy

when od goes you'll know it's on it's last leg have you checked the tv cable grommet?

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

whats the tv cable grommet? also could a u joint couse it to do that, i dont think a u joint would couse the tire to brake loose goin that fast.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

ok i went out to try to figure out when it does it, when in overdrive goin 45-50 and flooring it, it will shift down to 2nd and thats when the tire will chirp, but from overdrive to 3rd at a higher speed its smooth, there is still a louder shift though, but that could be just from the higher speed shifting gears real fast? i was just told it was normal for a tire to chirp shifting down that far, any input?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

and also, my shocks are shot, maybe that plays a role in it?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

since its only a harsh engagement it overdirve, can it be somthing else besides the clutches? i dont really want to put a new tranny in, any one got any ideas?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Converter Guy

It could be any number of things, maybe a new air filter will fix it. I don't know exactly what you want me to tell you it is or I would tell you that.
Did you ever check that grommet?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

i havent checked that grommet yet, but its really just a harsh engagement in overdrive, other gears are fine. im goin to get some estimates tomorow, im not trying to say u dont know what ur talking about couse i know u do, i just dont want to put a new tranny in lol. do u know how much a rebulit aod would run? or would it be cheaper to get mine rebuilt?
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Veteran Poster

You NEED to check the TV grommet at the TB and that the TV cable is adjusted properly.....or else!

As for harsh shift INTO OD, it is common with modded VB or larger OD servo's, but to go from soft to hard for no reason would mean TV pressure increase or the servo return spring broke possibly not having any accumulator action....but since it is an 86 (suprised it is still on the road) it has MANY OEM factors that could possibly point to the demise of that trans.

Slipping is bad obviously, but if the shifts are firm you are still okay, just make sure your TV is adjusted properly. Also, a good VB cleaning might take some the sticky action out of the shift functions as well.

We would need more info to properly diagnose...eliminat the TV as a symtom first.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

ok, i just tried adjusting the tv cable, at first i gave it to much and it was really bad at shifting and gave a slight bang noise on all gears, but now its close, so far goin into overdrive with gas its smooth, but when i let off and it keps shifting up it goes in hard, so maybe with a lil more tuneing it will be fine, also the thing u move was like all the way in, from the diagram im looking at it was passed the max, right now its close to max i think, so maybe if i just let it off a bit more it would be fine, when i put it below half it didint shift right, so maybe somewhere between half and max is the right spot for this, if you can understand what im saying(i know it aint the best explanation) and maybe give me some tips or if im on the right track let me know, thanks for all the help, i went and talked to a shop about a new tranny and install and its like 1500, and they didint mention a thing about the kickdown cable, (i had to look up what the TV grommet was i had no idea what it was)
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Converter Guy

You shouldn't adjust that cable like that you should be using a pressure gauge.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

where would i get the preasure gage? any auto parts store? the thing i read on how to adust it didint say anything about a pressure gage. http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm is where im reading it at. Also would the preassure gauge be easy to use? or would i be able to get it right without it?
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Veteran Poster

A guage (0-100) with a 1/8 npt fitting on the TV port
(high side rear passengers side labeled TV)
should be between 0-5 at idle (I preffer 5-11psi at 1000 rpm)

The ford spec is 30 psi with a guage block...but I forget what size the guage block is.

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

so do u think i should put it back where it was at first till i can get a gauge?
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Converter Guy

Gauge block is .275 and spec is 33 to 35 psi idling warm in neutral

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

ok, i had my boss adjust it for me, not sure what he all did cause i was sittin in the car, but i drove it and it is shifting a lot smoother, tried a few kick downs from overdrive and it went in smooth, i guees ill find out when i head home (18 miles all highway) and ill post then.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

ok its still having a really hard shift in over drive sometimes, its not as bad as it was but it is still really noticable. so maybe the tranny is about to shat, maybe its time to get rid of it.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Converter Guy

I wouldn't worry about a hard shift. It's when the shift starts to get really soft I'd be concerned.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

its not the hardness of the shift im worried about, its the loud boom it makes when it does shift hard. sometimes it wont make the noise, othertimes it will.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Converter Guy

I really suggest knowing that the tv pressure is dead on and that the cable is not sticking I had a similar problem with a car because the cable would not return correctly. It had a hard 1-2 soft 2-3 and a hard 3-4. When the cable was right it shifter perfectly.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

alright ill try to fnid out the preasure, do u just check the spring..or what?
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Converter Guy

No. The first thing you need to do is make sure the cable moves freely and returns completely. Then put a 0-100 pressure gauge on the tv port of the transmission and install a .275 gauge block on the end of the cable. Set pressure to 33-35 psi idling warm in neutral.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Veteran Poster

Like watching a soap opra...

www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

well when messing with the tv up top, it did move freely, now are u saying the tv port down on the transmission right? and silver fox...its a manly soap opra lol
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Converter Guy

yes the port on the transmission. That is the test port.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

alright ill get that checked out, my boss dont know how to do it so im gion to have to find someone esle to check it, also..could it be my rear end, since being the loud bang im hearing is coming from the rear end, well thats were it sounds like to be anyways. or is it just becouse the tranny has a hard shift that it sounds more like the rear end. i do have another vehicle to drive(once i fix the wheel bearing next week) so im goin to stop driving this car till i know for sure whats wrong with it. or if u have a link to a website with instructions and pictures im sure me and my boss could figure it out, hes a pretty good mechanic but he dont know transmissions well. but if there is a website or somthing with instructions id appreciate the link. and also thanks for puttin up with my questions, i know it might be irratating couse i dont know much, but thanks for puttin up with me.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 AM

The loud bang sounds like it could be a U joint. Get under it in park and see how much play your driveshaft has by trying to turn it. The hard shifts are probably nothing to worry about as stated above. My 83 Tbird had a TV rod not a cable. If you have a TV rod then it cant be a stuck cable, just take it to a trans shop (not one of the AAMCO places, but a local shop) and tell them you want the TV pressure adjusted with a guage becasue you did some work up top. DO NOT tell them you want it adjusted due to a trans problem or mention anything about the way it shifts. they may adjust you a new problem and hope you come back......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in