Trac-Lock vs Torson - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Trac-Lock vs Torson

Just as the title says.. Can I get some opinions on the advantages / disadvantages of each. I've heard good things about Torson, but Trac-Lock sees to be the norm here. btw I'm looking to go 3.73's

Eibach 1.5" Lower Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks, SCP IRS Brace, SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace, Mark VIII LCAs
Chuck's Poly Motor Mounts, 13" PBR Front and Cobra rear brakes, 245-45-18 ADR Kasai Wheels, RichardM Intake Tube
Super Coupe leather seats and console, Pioneer Head, Audison Amps, Boston SL Components, 10" Boston G5 subs, Reverse Glow EL Gauges, Super Coupe Ground Effects, '96 Hood and Headlights, Custom paint: Tungsten Silver, PI Intake, 4000 stall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The advantage of 3.73's is you don't need a speedcal to correct your speedometer and your back road mpg won't be bad at all . Mine does great in the 55mph range, On the highway it will suffer a little. 4.10's aren't much different except I find they still lose mpg in the 55mpg range. On the highway they get slightly worse. and you need a speedcal. I don't honestly care for the torsion differentials only because of the torsion gm's I have seen explode. You can overstack the stock traction lock to get an extra plate in each side, then pack it tighter than stock. Thats my chioce of setup for most applications.
I have built a couple of detroit truetrac's they seem like a good setup.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Veteran Poster

for street and even mild performance strip action the OEM traklok is definetly capable when stacked correct and good fluid is used.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Thanks for the input - maybe I'll get a trac-lock after all.

Eibach 1.5" Lower Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks, SCP IRS Brace, SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace, Mark VIII LCAs
Chuck's Poly Motor Mounts, 13" PBR Front and Cobra rear brakes, 245-45-18 ADR Kasai Wheels, RichardM Intake Tube
Super Coupe leather seats and console, Pioneer Head, Audison Amps, Boston SL Components, 10" Boston G5 subs, Reverse Glow EL Gauges, Super Coupe Ground Effects, '96 Hood and Headlights, Custom paint: Tungsten Silver, PI Intake, 4000 stall
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I'd have some input on the torsen, but Don hasn't finished building it yet.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM

I've got the Torsen T2 and it locks up really hard and has taken lots of beatings...
Mine is actually so tight that when I reverse and turn the wheel max it
starts to lock up....

The main reason for me to get the Torsen T2 was that it doesn't have clutches,
I like the design idea and from recommendations...

But it's not an easy choice.. buth have advantages and disadvantages...

//Per
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
A general rule of thumb I've heard since the Torsen came out was that the Ford Trac-Loc is what you want for street/strip and the torsen is much more suited to street/road course/autocross.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Will this screw up my shift points enough where I need a chip or is this more or less a plug and play?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Veteran Poster

did you just say that............

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox
did you just say that............
Yes... I'm an idiot... But I thought I remembered both being mentioned just can't remember whats accurate and was to lazy to search. (now running to hide)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in