tranny slipping - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

tranny slipping

The tranny in the cougar is getting on in miles. it has 159,000 miles on it. All in all she is doing fine, but she has a slight slip thats gotten a little worse. i think it still has some good miles left on it. But I want to start looking at the future and where to go. I love the idea of a 5 speed swap, but wonder what the cost involved is compared to a rebuilt or new 4R70W with a good torque converter, j mod, and gears in the back? The car is my daily driver and will hopefully see occasional drag time, but not for some time as the oil pan is leaking, although I "patched" it with a gallon of rtv as i just cant afford to pay to have it done and lack the tools to do the job for the time being.

Alo, what is your opinion on a manual valve body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you are limited on funds and tools and since it's your DD, then I would go with a new 4R, TC, and gears. If you get a trans from Darrin and a TC from Alan it would be a direct swap. With the 5-speed you'd have to buy extra parts to make it work, and do some fab work.

Have the gears set up in a different pumpkin so all you have to do is swap the entire center section and call it done. Minimal downtime and less cost if you can swap all these things out yourself or have someone help.

Just my .02

And I don't know anything regarding the manual VB, so no help there.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

who are alan and darrin ( tccoa names ). yeah i was thinking that too. plus i do alot of road driving for work too so the auto seems the way to go. any recomendations on where to get a new tranny or rebuilt one of merit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would only use Darrin and Alan to get a nice 4r built. I've delt with them both a few times and have never been let down and they always take time out of their busy schedule to talk to you when you have questions.

Click this link to PM Darrin, he can build you what you want trans. wise (his TCCoA name is "Darrin")- http://forums.tccoa.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=880

Alan's screename is dirtyd0g, he's the TC guru around here, and here is his PM info http://forums.tccoa.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=4815

And while I think of it, if you get a new trans, go grab yourself a nice 24K or higher trans. cooler. Your new trans. will thank you

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

yeah ive read that on the boards. thanks for the info. im trying to keep myself from buying something new or "less" used. i like the car and i think it would be fairly uniqu to have a modded mn12. tons of mustangs(which i love) around VA. something different would be cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in