Tranny Question? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Tranny Question?

I had my tranny built a little over a year ago, and it works good except for sometimes when I WOT when I hit second gear it will drop the gear and rev, and when the RPMs start to drop it will grab! I took it to the shop the did the rebuild and they got it to act op finally after taking back there like 5 times, and they said its not the tranny it has something to do with the electrical. They said it my be my TPS sensor. Will that damn think affect the tranny or are they a bunch of F**kin idiots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Could be the MPLS acting up. My 95 did that before. Of course what stopped mine was replacing the 1-2 accumulator during the j-mod. No more rev/bang into 2nd, just chirp.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

They replaced the MLPS when they did the rebuild cause the other one was bad! What parts are needed to do the J-Mod? any part #'s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I bet I know what it is and its not good. Do a search on intermediate one way clutch. You have the roller style and its about to blow up. Looks like its past time to start saving for a newer trans.
Sorry to be the bearer of that bad news.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

All the clutches are new, when my tranny blew the first time this snap ring busted and all the clutches blew out, they showed me all the parts they were all black and burnt up! What sucks also is my warranty on the tranny was up 2 months ago! also when I am driving normal keeping the rpm no higher than 3000, it works perfectly fine!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

See, that one way roller clutch is not a clutch as you are thinking. Its a completely different kind of clutch. It doesn't burn up because it is made from roller bearings that ride in a ramp to allow it to turn in one direction and not in the other. Some people call this setup a sprag. They never should have put that setup in these transmissions. The one you have is the weakest of them all and I killed one on a 3.8 car. They just cannot handle what they are supposed to.
What has happened is that you have taken it through too many WOT shifts. What is happening is that it is falling apart. What will happen is that you will eventually completely lose 2nd gear.
Until you can get it replaced you need to completely baby that car through the 1-2 shift. I am still running on the one in my 97 and I am waiting for it to completely grenade. Its been like that for months now. The good thing is that it keeps my foot off the floor and I am getting better city mileage. LOL
DO NOT pay someone to rebuild that transmission again. You will end up in exactly the same situation as you are now if you do. You need to get a whole new transmission to get rid of this problem.
Trust me on this. This is what I do. Ask around.
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I knew someone that had a similiar problem on a VW Jetta. They did a road test with some kind of computer hooked up. It showed that everytime the tps voltage would jump, the transmission would act up. VW dealer said it was common for those to go bad. Don't know if you are having the same problem but a new TPS sensor for a Tbird is only around $35. Might be worth a shot. Also make sure your battery and charging system are good.

"You know Darren, if you would have told me twenty-five years ago that some day I'd be standing here about to solve the world's energy problems, I would've said you're crazy... Now let's push this giant ball of oil out the window." Cosmo Kramer
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Thanks darrin, I think I will have Kdanner build me one in a couple of months!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Is the sprag a round piece that looks like a sproket in a way? If it is and its the right picture I saw that was the piece that failed! What I think they did they just rebuilt it cause if I remember correctly they said it would cost alot for to put a new one in there! Email me darrin @ [email protected]. After I write this I wont be online in a while. I am having my monitor shipped back to HP to get fixed! Email me so I can send you pics of what part I think might be what you are talking about!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in