How do you replace the front pump seal? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

How do you replace the front pump seal?

Yesterday morning I saw a large puddle of transmission fluid underneath where the bellhousing is. I'm not quite sure if my front pump seal is going, but that is what I'm guessing at this point (if it might be something else, let me know) until I take a closer look this weekend. How do you replace the seal and how hard is the whole process? I consider myself a novice when it comes to working on cars; I can do it, but it takes me longer than most.

Thanks for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Someone told me before that if there is a puddle of transmission fluid when the car has been sitting and not running then it is probably not the front seal. The reason for this is that the fluid is below the front seal when the car is not running.
I would check the pan gasket first. Someone correct me if I am wrong; that is just what I have been told and I am no transmission expert.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

had an 82 camaro the front pump bushing and seal went bad on and it leaked worse after the car was shut off rather than running.

same way with an 89 gt stang i had with the oil pan gasket on the motor, wouldnt leak while running but drained a quart or 2 on the ground after i shut it off.

94 lx : sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
you have to pull the transmission out to get to the front pump which is behind the converter.you can use a rear axel puller and a larger bolt that threads onto the pump to get the pump out.pump is held on by 8 mm standered threads i believe.you will need a 10mm to thread on the pump it self.i also believe there are only 2 places out of the 7 or 8 holes you can put the bolt.but i whould doubt your front seal is leaking.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:08 AM
4th Gear Poster

...I don't recall offhand where the dipstick goes into the case, but maybe also check first to see if it is coming from the dipstick tube o-ring, may save you a bit of work

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:05 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
I vote for the dipstick tube "o"-ring as well. It's on the passenger side towards the front and could be dripping down the front of transmission. PITA to get to, but small hands help.

Check it out, it's a cheap fix.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Dipstick tube would leammore when it isn't running as well because the fluid gets higher int he unit when you shut it off.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll check that out today and let you guys know tonight.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I took a longer look at it today. I first pulled the rubber plug from the bell housing to check for fluid in there and there wasn't any. I even ran my finger inside the bell housing and didn't pick up any trace of fluid. So that means it's not my front pump seal, right? There was some fluid where my flexplate meets the housing, however, but from what I can tell, there isn't any fluid inside the bell housing.

I retorqued my tranny pan bolts; all were dead on and none needed retightening. So my pan gasket is okay.

The only thing I couldn't check was the o-ring for the dipstick tube, but at this point I can't imagine it being anything else. It does only leak when the car sits for a while, because I ran it to normal operating temperature, parked it for an hour and came back to check how much had leaked and there was only a very small spot; the one I found two days ago after letting the car sit overnight was at least fifteen times bigger (today was the first time I've used the car since then, so I don't have consistent results yet).

Saturday morning I'm going to try and wipe off most of the dirt and fluid on the pan and wherever, drive it down to my friend's house (he has a garage I can use to fix it) and park it for a couple of hours while I do my brakes. If it is the o-ring, I'll replace it that day as well. If it's not, well... We'll see.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 AM
5th Gear Poster

might also check the tranny lines at the tranny case where they screw in, they might be loose. just something else to add lol

94 lx : sold
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My 00 Grand Marquis was losing a ton of fluid, it was the dipstick tube.

The car was in an accident, and went over a curb and median at 45 mph. In the process it hit the tranny pan on the median and bent it up. They replaced the pan, but when I got the car back it was leaking a ton. I took it back (mistake, but it was paid for by the insurance company) and they said it was the dipstick tube and they just reseated it. No more leaks, but they didn't replace the filter. They removed the filter, left the oring in the bore, stuck the filter back in place, and put the pan on. The filter was cracked on the plastic side, dented on the metal side, and it was free wheeling over bumps and left turns (you know, the type IN FRONT of oncoming cars). It didn't go back to them, and when I drained the pan (17th quart I had done in the last 5k miles, who knows if they did the torque converter or not) I could see where they had used vice grips or waterpump pliers on it to jam it back in.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in